Tutoring

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Tutoring
By Special_Foreign (Special_Foreign) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 08:44 pm: Edit

i'm 16 years old and i'm a peer tutor at my high school. i want to make a couple of bucks and stop asking my parents for money every time i go to the movies or something of the like. the thing is i really can't get a job working in a grocery store or something similar because it takes too much time and i'm busy with studies and extracurricular activities. i was thinking of tutoring for money, but the problem is that i dont know how to start. do i just put up posters, hand out flyers, or what? since most of the people here are in college or close to graduating from high school i imagine that some of you must have done tutoring for money some time in your life. again i'm just wandering how you got started. i think it will be a pretty good opportunity. thanks again.

specialr foreign: please do NOT use such "attention getting" devices in your subjects. "Tutoring" would have been fine, and would have been found in a search engine. Since there is no such word as "!!!!tutoring!!!!" it would NOT be found in ANY seach engine. Keep it plain and simple please. People are more attracted to precise, witty subjects rather than !!!!!!!!!
Thank you.

<moderator>

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Put up flyers. Talk to teachers who have classes you want to tutor for. I had the opportunity to get paid but I declined because I was doing it for NHS. Oh yeah, and make sure you've no competition ^^ It's hard to make others pay if there are volunteering organizations who'd tutor for free =)

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 12:03 am: Edit

hehe. I've done just a *little bit* of tutoring over my high school career. Flyers are really good! Definitely talk to teachers about relatively weak students that they have. Make sure you don't put your price on the flyer; you discuss it later. Or just try to spread it by word of mouth. Ask your friends to ask others if they need tutoring. Maybe start up an after school program with a couple of other smart buddies and do it in a teacher's room or some other place, and share the profits.

By Special_Foreign (Special_Foreign) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 08:16 pm: Edit

thanks guys this clears some stuff up for me.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page