Low AP Scores hurt chances?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Low AP Scores hurt chances?
By Satsuki (Satsuki) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

I just got my AP US History score, sadly, I receive a "2"(I got a B for the class). My question is, will it hurt my chance to colleges(especially the UCs)? I heard if you got a 2 on the AP test, then you don't get an extra point for that specific class on your GPA. Is that true? Also, I heard you don't have to report your scores to the colleges, what if you already sent a report to one? And some people said there's an area on the application where you have to list the score you received for the AP exam, so do I just leave it blank?

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 06:06 pm: Edit

if you leave it blank, i think they'll assume the worst. A 2 won't hurt you TOO badly, it'll just show colleges that that specific class was not college level.

By Girl (Girl) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 06:57 pm: Edit

I think a lot of times AP scores are used as a matter of class placement, not admission. Taking/getting into AP classes shows your incentive in academic pursuits, so unless you got a terrible score, I'd show it.

If they really bother you, just have College Board hold your unlikable scores.

By Satsuki (Satsuki) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 01:52 am: Edit

BUMP

By Rob (Rob) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 02:00 am: Edit

NO- if they're bad, don't report them. my friend took 8 ap's as a junior, and got a 3 or below on 6 of them (4's on other two), and didnt write them down on the app. BTW, he got into harvard/stanford/princeton/yale, but that was probably b/c he was a finalist for westinghouse and intel.

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 02:41 am: Edit

At UC's, AP scores don't hurt you. They can only help you. I've talked about this issue specifically with a UC Berkeley admissions officer. She said that if you pass an AP test it's seen as a plus, but if you fail then the test simply isn't considered in the admissions process.

By Satsuki (Satsuki) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Don't write them on the app? So just leave it blank(or does the app even include that area where you can put the scores)?

Do I still get an extra point on the GPA for this score? Thanks~

By Unmatchedsocks (Unmatchedsocks) on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 06:17 pm: Edit

Dude, every state does it differently.

In Texas, if you do not have money for the exam, you do not get the extra point. In Florida, you get the extra point, but you take a zero for your final. There is not a nationwide law for coercing students into making the school money. It is done underhandly and somewhat discreetly. So, call your school and ask. If they say you will not get the point, make a lot of noise about it and see if they change their mind.

Also, applications do not have AP score places, and you do not have to report them at all until accepted.

By Firedup17 (Firedup17) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 12:32 am: Edit

"Also, applications do not have AP score places, and you do not have to report them at all until accepted. "

MANY colleges have a section where you have to list the AP scores you have received during high school. Examples: UPenn, Harvard (Supplement), Boston College and Columbia.

By Satsuki (Satsuki) on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Yeah, there is a section for AP scores on the UC applications as well(I'll also apply to UPenn). So should I put the score on it, or leave it blank??

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page