D's

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: D's
By Lliwebi (Lliwebi) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 02:20 pm: Edit

how will colleges look at 5 D's on my transcript? One was from second semester freshman year and the rest were from sophmore year, three first semester and one second. For some reason I felt really unmovitated in that time during my life and I didn't really care about anything and I hated everything. would it look somewhat better if i had a D in english first semester and then an A the next?

By Mike212 (Mike212) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 05:01 pm: Edit

I don't have the best GPA, but 5 D's!!!!! OMG! You should have got your A$$ on Prozac or Wellbutrin or Zoloft, SOMETHING!!! Anyway colleges will not look at the freshman year grades as much as the sophomore grades... My older sister told me that admissions don't like it when grades fluctuate from high to low. Steady grades is what they are looking for, but anyhow, work as hard as you can to get your grads up... What grade are you in now??? If you are finished with h/s then I don't have any pertinent info for you~ sorry I wish I could help more... Mike

By Lliwebi (Lliwebi) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:40 pm: Edit

I'll be a senior. For my junior year grades I got all B's and C's first semester and all A's and B's second semester. My gpa is 2.6 unweighted and 2.9 weighted.

By Mike212 (Mike212) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 02:04 am: Edit

Okay - your grades do show improvement and school love that. Since you are going to be a senior I highly suggest that you work as hard as possible to get all As (and the occasional B will be fine). This will show that you have greatly improved your academic record, as well as showing an interest in school. WARNING: If you get more Cs, Ds, or Fs, you will be in a horrible situation. It will totally diminish any chances at a reputable school, so try as hard as you can to earn A grades and keep them there.
*My friend Justin was in a similar situation and he earned all As in senior year, graduated with an okay GPA (3.7), got 1290 on the SATI and is now @ NYU... So hey anything is possible. *
But (and I know that you shouldnt start sentences with but, but what the hell) the MOST IMPORTANT thing that you need to do is earn good grades your senior year and I think youll be fine... Mike

By Lliwebi (Lliwebi) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 02:13 am: Edit

thanks, but how will colleges be able to see the upward improvement? don't they only see grades up to junior year?

By Mike212 (Mike212) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 02:19 am: Edit

Some colleges will request a mid-year progress report and see how you are doing your senior year. If they see that you have not so great grades they can defer (suspend) admission to their school... Also, you will have to send a final transcript after you are finished with high school. They will see the upward improvement (if there is one).

By Apguy (Apguy) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 02:22 am: Edit

If grades get better from 9th grade to 10th grade, even better in 11th grade and still good in the first semester of 12th grade (which they do see) you have an upward grade improvement.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page