Visiting essential?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Visiting essential?
By Nealp (Nealp) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 08:35 pm: Edit

I live in kansas but I am applying (11/12) to East Coast schools. If I visit east coast schools, I will miss out on some really good research oppurtunities (reserach symposium at KU med school). Also, if I do go to the East Coast, it is very difficult to visit more than two or three schools since they are distant from each other (cornell, jhu, boston u, pennstate - all many hours away from each other). Flying is pretty cheap if I book now, but traveling on the East Coast is quite expensive.

I've heard of Tufts syndrome. Is it for real or can I express my interest in a school in other ways? (Can I call the school and ask to talk to a current undergrad?)

Essentially, my question is, do colleges understand that it is difficult to visit them on the east coast if i live in the midwest?

By Serene (Serene) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 08:51 pm: Edit

you don't have to visit. but do enough research to make sure you'll like the surroundings.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

i see. so tufts syndrome is a myth?

By Serene (Serene) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 09:36 pm: Edit

what syndrome?

By Nealp (Nealp) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 09:39 pm: Edit

they say that colleges try to increase their selectivity (and therefore their usnwr rank) by denying admission to applicants who are qualified but have not expressed enough interest because the colleges assume it is the applicants safety or playful risk. (or so i've heard)

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 10:20 pm: Edit

I would say visit any college that you can especially the ones where you think the physical aspects of the college could be a problem. For example, when I visited Williams, I realized that I could never go there because its isolated location would make me miserable.

On the topic of cost for visiting see about making "open-jaw" reservations (you fly into one city and return to another) they are sometimes cheaper than regular roundtrips (like ours from phoenix to nyc and hartford to phoenix) and allow you to go to more places in less time. For example, you could fly into Boston see BU then drive to Cornell (a 5-6 hour drive), then drive to Penn State (a 1-3 hour drive) and then drive to baltimore (a 2-3 hour drive) and see JHU and fly back to Kansas from Baltimore.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 12:00 am: Edit

thats a very good idea. i'll have to see about that. are you sure about the approximate driving times? i was under the impression that cornell is very far north?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 01:09 pm: Edit

If you can't visit the east coast due to scheduling, make sure you at least line up an alumni interview if possible - that will show interest. Also, email the admissions department and find out what their travel schedule is like. It may be that they will be in close proximity to your area at some point in the fall and you can meet with a rep then. That will also show your seriousness about the school.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 01:51 pm: Edit

i think i will do that - attend a session when its in a nearby city.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 06:14 pm: Edit

And make sure that if you do, you send a personal follow-up thank you to the rep who is at the session. Mention that you attended and briefly say what excited you most about College X during the presentation. If you have any questions, ask those as well.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 09:35 pm: Edit

According to Mapquest, Boston to Ithaca is about six hours; Ithaca to Penn State, about four and a half. Given that, you would be best off doing Boston to Penn State (about five hours) and then to Cornell: this would allow you to visit more colleges along the East Coast.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 07:44 pm: Edit

awesome cost cutting ideas!

By Nealp (Nealp) on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 11:35 pm: Edit

thats what i did. fly to laguaria. drive to cornell, then rochester. drive to niagra falls for sighseeting for a day. back to connecticut. drive to boston and back. yale in new haven one day. thanks for the ideas.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page