School Doesn't Weight

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: School Doesn't Weight
By Hukddonfoniks (Hukddonfoniks) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 04:42 am: Edit

Our school didn't use to weight GPA's......so basically all the rankings were determined by unweighted GPA's

This past year they started using weighted GPA's, but they only weighted AP's, so basically there was no reward for working hard in an honors class

Now they are going back to unweighting cuz too many parents complained

What do colleges think about this? My ranking is going to go way down because of this....way down

Do they even know that my school doesnt weight?

thanks guys

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 05:53 am: Edit

i believe that many universities calculate in their own weighted way, so don't worry. Also, that info about not weighting will be in the school profile.

By Serene (Serene) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 12:54 pm: Edit

what do you mean your ranking would go way down because of this?

By Hukddonfoniks (Hukddonfoniks) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 02:34 pm: Edit

i have a few B's in honors classes and Aps and now people with all A's in woodshop or whatever can be tied for rank number 1, while i'll be down to the 20's or even 30's even though my weighted GPA is over 4.0

my unweighted is only 3.85....so yeah all the people in easier classes with more A's get ranked ahead of me

thanks for the replies guys

By Uncchlocalmayor (Uncchlocalmayor) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 02:35 pm: Edit

and most of the kids in woodshop are applying to the same colleges you are?

By Hukddonfoniks (Hukddonfoniks) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 04:23 pm: Edit

well from what i hear it seems like rankings are really important

look at the academic index for example...you go from rank 5 to 10 and that changes your index dramatically (im not saying the AI is fullproof or anything, or even used, just citing it as an example)

but if my ranking goes way down...wont that affect what colleges think?

do they want a kid who is ranked 30th in his school or ranked 10th?

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 04:25 pm: Edit

It depends, there are so many other variables and a lot of it has to do w/ where you want to go to college...

The colleges will be sensitive to the fact that the kid who is taking general level classes and such is ahead of you because of unweighted classes. A lot of time colleges recalculate GPA on their own scale... so once they figure that your GPA is only enough to put you 30th despite that you're doing a lot more than others ahead of you, then it probably won't even be of that much importance.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page