Recommendations

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Recommendations
By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 01:52 pm: Edit

Hey you guys..
For people for have great recs, what kinds of teachers are you getting them from?? At our school, most of our teachers have only known us for one year, and I doubt that any of them really got to know anybody well enough to write a recommendation.. also, if you plan to major in a science, do you really need a science teacher to write a rec or would it be better to have someone whose more um.. englishy, someone who could write a more convincing essay, to write a rec for you? Oh, and can do you first look at the letter before it's sent, or don't you get to do that?

By Serene (Serene) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 02:04 pm: Edit

usually you'd need two recs for each school, so you could try to have one math/science teacher and one english/history teacher write them if you want the well-rounded impression.

i wouldn't worry about math/science teachers' ability to write recs though. the best recs i have come from my calc and chem teachers =)

some teachers would give you a copy of the rec they wrote. some won't. it's always inethical to open already-sealed envelopes.

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 02:35 pm: Edit

Don't worry if you plan on majoring in science. The colleges don't need to know that (though they ask for a "possible" major, you don't have to declare anything science related). And yes, as Serene said, getting a rec from a science/math teacher and another from a liberal arts teacher would be preferable. My situation was pretty nice cuz I asked my AP biology teacher (who's a really eloquent, nice, funny guy who happens to also be a lawyer and my debate team coach) and my Spanish teacher (who told me I'm her best Spanish student). Just try to get teachers who really like you to write you recs...but make sure that they'll have good stuff to write too.

By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 04:39 pm: Edit

Do I ask them for a copy of what they said and stuff? And what if I decide that after I saw their letter, I didnt' really want to use it.. is it possible to not send it then?

By Serene (Serene) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 06:59 pm: Edit

I think it's rude to ask to see the recs -- after all, it's private communication between the teacher and the school... so you just have to find good teachers who like you and trust their recs. =)

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 01:04 am: Edit

This is what my daughter did. She waited too long to ask her advisor/biology teacher for a rec, which was a shame since she had been her advisor for several years, and she was majoring in biology. However her teacher limited herself to doing just a few recommendations and by october of senior year was done.
So she had her english teacher, and her civics teacher write reqs. I think she suggested to them that she put the rec on a disk and then when she needed a copy she could just take it to them to sign, rather than they have to hunt for it. Often scholarships want recs as well, so she had reqs from her volunteer and workplaces on a disk.
Once she had the signatures she gave the letters to the school and they sent them with a sealed envelope, so that they couldn't be tampered with.
I only saw what her civics teacher wrote it was short, but sweet.
( It actually made me gag, since it seemed to be hyperbole, but they must have liked it cause she was admitted to all her schools)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page