AP Calculus and College admission

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: AP Calculus and College admission
By Terminator (Terminator) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 12:53 am: Edit

hi,
i'm in a situation that i need to choose between
AP Statistics or AP Calculus...

well..i'm kinda not good at math so i'd really rather take AP Statistics which is much interesting to me..

but alot of my friends say that the competitive colleges won't take students without AP Calculus..

and..i dunno which one i should choose.
by the way..if i choose AP Statistics, i'm gonna
take "Business Calculus" or "Applied Calculus" at
the local community college(should i take em?)..do you think that will cover the fact that i didn't take AP calculus?

please tell me how crucial is the AP Calculus in the college admission.

thank to all :)

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 01:57 am: Edit

I would say...yes... go with AP stat if your heart is set on it. Take applied calc at community college and colleges will see that you have not only made the effort to take calc at a college-level, but it is impressive to have someone who is taking two math classes (esp. for one who doesn't enjoy it)

By Serene (Serene) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 02:41 am: Edit

i hope you have done some math in stats before... because I heard it's very boring, so I hope you won't be disappointed with your choice =)

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 02:44 am: Edit

I wish my school had AP Stats. Our school "doesn't see the need for it" and I don't have time to do classes at a CC.

By Terminator (Terminator) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 02:55 am: Edit

yea...i hope AP Stats is better than AP CALC..
anyway...thanks
anymore? AP CALC or AP STATS?

By Icarus (Icarus) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 04:01 am: Edit

AP Calculus is not that difficult. AP Stats is really easy, but yes it can be pretty boring. In regards to competitive colleges not taking you if you don't have AP Calc on your transcripts, that is completely false. I decided to take AP Stats last year, for the main reason that i'm pre-med and most medical schools don't accept AP credit for pre-reqs, so i would've had to retake it anyways. I was accepted to several competitive schools like UCLA (where i will be going next year), UCSD, NYU, and Columbia.
And yes, taking classes at a local college looks very very good on applications. But if you don't like math or aren't good at it, don't take calculus at the college... take a class that you would enjoy. You still get the units for it. Good luck

By Drusba (Drusba) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 07:41 am: Edit

Not sure where those other students got their info. AP Calculus is not necessary to get into a competitive college with the exception that places like MIT, Caltech, or engineering or science departments of universities (if you are intending to major in those fields), would consider it a definite plus for admission. Competitive colleges want to see things like the student took and aced challenging courses and AP statistics is in that group.

By Dragonman (Dragonman) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 05:24 pm: Edit

take both, thats what im doing lol.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 01:17 pm: Edit

What do you mean by "kinda not good at math"? Calculus looks a lot more impressive on a college application, but if you're likely to fail it, that obviously doesn't help you. If you wanted to take one course, but both exams, stats would be the easier one to prepare for on your own.

By Terminator (Terminator) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 02:37 pm: Edit

well..what i mean by "kinda not good at math"(slightly indirective description of myself) means, i'm not good at math and yet i'm not a bad at math either. however, my interest is not a math and i'd rather take the class that i will enjoy more...

but, many people(people that i know) insist that not taking AP Calculus will significantly harm my chances at the competitive college admission.
so here i am posting my question...

anyone else?

anyone got into the competitive college with
AP Statistics? then what college?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page