AP Scores

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: AP Scores
By Dazedanconfused (Dazedanconfused) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 04:14 am: Edit

I took World History sophomore year, and US, Chem, and Latin my junior. I got 5's on World and US, a 3 on chem, and a 1 on Latin. I hate math and science, so just passing Chem was ok with me. I hate Latin, but still got A's all semesters, without ever really learning anything. I never expected to pass that exam, and don't intend to continue that subject. Next year I'm transferring to a well-known prep school back east and hopefully won't have to take any math or language, but I will take Physics.

My question is: Do I have to list my Latin score on my application, or is it sent to my schools by the college board? Also, am I a fool to pursue education in subjects I am interested in at the cost of having a dearth of technical classes my senior year?

The main reason I decided to switch was to avoid having to take the standard senior AP classes at my public school (I would have had 5 of them) so that I could actually enjoy school for once. But now I find myself faced with having to take the same courses at my new school to have a well-balanced college app, only it'll cost me $30k more.

I'm already past my angst over the fact that preparing for college has ruined my young life, but this is still very aggravating because I have expectations from parents and peers to get into a prestigious school. I know that shouldn't bother me, but my modesty has its limits, and Penn and Columbia sound pretty good.

Please answer my question about score reporting, and feel free to offer any advice on my senior scheduling. This message board is becoming a sort of group therapy for me. Thanks in advance for your responses.

By Serene (Serene) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 08:16 am: Edit

it's ok if u don't list latin (why did you take it and why didn't u withhold/cancel it though?). colleges will see all scores on the report, but don't worry. just emphasize the best is ok. and they'll understand that you are weak in some subjects but strong in others.

"having to take the same courses at my new school"? also required? what "same courses"? just wondering

By Fartleksue (Fartleksue) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 02:16 pm: Edit

You can't cancel the score after June 15. That is too bad bc if you feel like you've done great on the test and then it comes back low you are screwed. My D submitted her AP Art Portfolio 2 years ago and got a 3. This was after her art teacher (who was an official AP Art grader) told her she would have a 5 on it. We were all shocked - including the teacher. There is nothing you can do once you get a score like that. No second opinion either. Doesn't make sense that someone has the power to grade you subjectively and you have no say. Multiple choice is easy - it's either right or wrong. Essay's are another story. Oh well.

To your question - sounds like your parents are behind you by sending you to a private school to boost your grades. But they can't do everything - YOU are the one who has the control. Sounds like you don't like school and they are forcing you into something you don't want. Probably a waste of time and money for everyone.
Good luck.

By Dazedanconfused (Dazedanconfused) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Serene - The courses I'm talking about are AP English, Calc, Econ, Gov't, Physics, and probably Art History because auto shop would have made me look like a slacker. Standard courseload for a senior hoping to go Ivy or close. The funny thing is that it has worked for a good number of graduates from my public high school, and I'm probably hurting my chances by transferring to a more competitive student body.

But I'm not being forced into this at all, the transfer was my idea, it's just that my ideal schedule isn't plausible according to college advisors I've consulted. So instead of the broad range of elective-type humanities courses I'd like to take, I'm finding myself acquiescing to include more of the subjects I was hoping to avoid. Apparently I'm not 'challenging' myself if I don't suffer through Calculus and a new language and instead opt to indulge myself in material I want to learn. I should go to Brown, no curriculum requirements.

By Dazedanconfused (Dazedanconfused) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 02:34 pm: Edit

Also, I took Latin because many people believe it's better to take an AP test and fail than to take the course without taking the test. Any comments on that? And what about not taking a math senior year?
I kind of took a gamble on the Latin multiple choice, answered on hunches, which was probably a bad idea. But at that point I just wanted my last AP test to be over.

By Giants (Giants) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Neither of the options (taking the class w/o the test or failing the test) are good options. In your situation, the fact that you failed the test and got A's in the class shows that the class was worthless (no offense). Basically, I doubt the colleges are seriously going to view those A's in the light of those in a college level class. Anyways, good luck to you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page