Crucial junior year- what to do?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Crucial junior year- what to do?
By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 01:27 am: Edit

hey, everybody! I'm gonna be a junior, and i was wondering what i can do to shine! just some background info-
SAT- 1560
SAT IIs- Math 2c, chem- 800, writing- 780
Rank 1
ECs-
Tutoring 15-20 hours a week
Research with UCLA prof in nuerobiology over the summer
various regional/state awards in Debate/speech
a couple other clubs- nothing major in them
1st chair in county wind symphony
Volunteer at hospital, shelter, and library

I know my ECs are pretty lacking, but i dont want to just join random clubs for the heck of it. My passion is in debate, science, and tutoring. What can i do to show my passion in these areas. my school does not sponsor any science competitions.

By Serene (Serene) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 08:19 am: Edit

... that's called "pretty lacking"? *sighs* another paranoid... heh...

It seems you're already doing a lot in the three areas u mentioned. hmm... and it's hard for me to tell you what else to add, since i don't know what programs your school does sponsor. =\ maybe u could give us a list first? lol...

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 03:59 pm: Edit

well, my school pretty much offers...nothing. none of our clubs other than speech and debate and mocktrial really do anything; and we don't participate in any tests for qualification into competitions or olympiads. its pretty much a dead beat school. i tried sports, but through some incident *koff* i figured out it wasn't for me.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 01:18 pm: Edit

Hahaha:
Suggestion (one which I did before my senior year not for college, but out of interest)... start a club. If you are intersted in science, I would highly recommend looking into Science Olympiad. Get a couple of teachers on board, 14 other students, apply for the rule book, and practice as soon as possible. I did it throughtout middle school and occasionally in high school, and it was amazing.

Let your guidance office know that you want to tutor. They know which students need help and can arrange tutoring sessions.

How about starting a Mock Trial team? The one downside is that it helps to have an attorney helping you - my high school assistant principal was one, so he helped out.

By Serene (Serene) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 01:49 pm: Edit

and there's so many math/science programs you can apply to for junior year summer... so look into those as well. =)

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 02:40 pm: Edit

Dude, don't bother trying to improve your ECs. They are FINE! They are varied and they show a significant level of participation/dedication in each of them. Regional/state awards in debate, first chair in county orchestra, and research in neurobiology with a UCLA prof? You are MUCH better off than many strong applicants. Don't bother trying to go over the top. Just concentrate on those essays and make sure to get good recs. That's just about all you can do at this point...and assuming you aren't someone who just constantly plugs away at school to get good grades (i.e. you're relatively intelligent), you'll probably get into any school you want. Your stats are impressive and there's no need to further augment them. Psh..."pretty lacking" indeed....

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 03:26 pm: Edit

i don't know about that; it seems that almost everybody on this board has ECs that are so much more diversified than mine! lol. the problem is, the principle won't let me start a science olympiad club, because he says it wil take away from Academic Decathlon. I know there's a couple of summer programs, but without any math/science ECs other than the research, i don't think i can get in to any of them! Thx for all the suggestions!

By Serene (Serene) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 03:28 pm: Edit

hahaha: math camps like USA-Canadian and PROMYS give lists of math problems for the applicants to do and accept students based on how well they do. not much experience is needed. except both of these camps cost ~$2000

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 03:40 pm: Edit

yikes! i sincerely doubt i can afford that, because we're by no means rich and my brother is starting stanford with No scholarships this year. that's like 30,000+ dollars right there! Yeah, i looked into PROMYS at Boston university, but then i saw the price!

By Sac (Sac) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 04:59 pm: Edit

You look great, but if you really want something in math and science next summer, look into COSMOS, which is the California state summer program for math and science students. (I'm assuming you're a Californian because of the mention of a UCLA professor). It's offered at UC Davis, Santa Cruz, and Irvine, is relatively inexpensive compared to other programs and also offers scholarships, since it's an outreach program.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

yeah, i did COSMOS for neurobiology/chemistry two summers ago at UCI; it was pretty awesome! It was a cool atmosphere- working hard in the daytime, and chilling at Brandywine at night playing pool. And it was pretty cheap.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

So do i have any chance for programs like Rockefeller or RSI? probably not, right?

By Sac (Sac) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 06:34 pm: Edit

You've done all this already and you're going to be a junior? Why don't you do a project for an Intel award -- maybe the UCLA professor or a professor you met at COSMOS from UCI will mentor you.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 06:53 pm: Edit

hmm, i never thought about that...actually, that could work! thanks so much Sac!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page