Does being Argentine make me a URM???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Does being Argentine make me a URM???
By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Both my parents were born and raised in Argentina, so my family is Argentine. I guess I would check the box that says "Other Latino" or "Other Hispanic" or something like that. I was wondering, is being Argentine make me a URM???

By Got2go (Got2go) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Sure, if you'd like to be a URM you would certainly qualify, I don't believe there are many Argentinians on most college campuses.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

True but the assumption is that you also have one of the qualifying nationalities or permanent residency in the U.S.

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

What do you mean Xiggi? Is Argentine a qualifying nationality for URM status? Both my parents were born and raised in Argentina, I was born in California and I live in California. Does that give me URM status???

By Tenista09 (Tenista09) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

What's URM? Under-represented minority?

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 12:50 am: Edit

Bull~

Sorry if the earlier post was misleading. The qualification is not for the Argentine part. You need to be a US Citizen or permanent resident to be considered a URM.

Since you were born in California, you should qualify for American-Hispanic status and as such be in the category of Under-Represented Minorities.

If you did not have the US citizenship or residency, and had been Argentine like your parents, you would have been considered as "international" and "hispanic", However, you would not have the URM status and no access to Financial Aid.

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 12:53 am: Edit

OH! Now I understand! Thanks a lot Xiggi. BTW, Tenista, yes URM means "Under-Represented Minority".

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page