Georgetown or Northwestern? Help me decide!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Georgetown or Northwestern? Help me decide!
By Bombgigatron (Bombgigatron) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 05:45 pm: Edit

I got into both as a transfer student (poli sci and econ). Where should I go?

Northwestern University's Weinberg College of A&S

or

Georgetown College

I'm looking towards law school down the road.

By Beandip65 (Beandip65) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 06:38 pm: Edit

hey, i just got into Georgetown as a transfer and I think it is an excellent school from what Ive heard and read about, however I know that Northwestern is also a really excellent school. SO I guess my post didnt really help much. Good Luck and Hope to see you at GU.

By Bombgigatron (Bombgigatron) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

Yep Georgetown is an awesome school. However I'm a bit worried about their "conservative" reputation. As a athiest minority leftist... I dont know how comfortable I would be there.

By Tenista09 (Tenista09) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 11:37 pm: Edit

Though Georgetown is an excellent school and the location is nice, the buildings aren't nice and are all old and worn-out. Just to make your decision easier in the slightest (?). :)

By Toocool (Toocool) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 12:42 am: Edit

I don't know. Both have awesome reputations. Where I live, in a small town in Illinois, all I here about is Northwestern this and Northwestern that. I have researched the two, and for what I am going into (math), I see Northwestern way ahead. In law, though, they ae both very competitive. You can't go wrong with either. By the way, could you check out my stats on the page (Columbia, Northwestern, or Dartmouth?

By Kimfuge (Kimfuge) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 09:20 am: Edit

If you want to go to law, Georgetown definitely is ahead of Northwestern. Northwestern is renowned for other areas such as journalism, economics, and pre-med while it maintains a strong political science program. But GU is located in Washington D.C. and you'll have MUCH better professors there that are real politicians, policy makers, etc. Georgetown is the best for international relations, which i think is closely tied with political science. And Georgetown has an excellent school, so in the end, i think Georgetown is the better choice.

By Tenisghs (Tenisghs) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 01:36 pm: Edit

Poli Sci and Economics? You're better off at Northwestern.

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 01:47 pm: Edit

hands down, georgetown. i mean if allen iverson could go there, so can u!

By Bombgigatron (Bombgigatron) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Allen Iverson... my role model. I just NEED... NEED... to follow in his footsteps.

hmm I can see why Georgetown would be a better place to goto for an aspiring lawyer... however I'm a bit dismayed by the fact that even with its location its poli sci major is ranked fairly low (around 40 I believe). Would going to Gtowne really affect my future law goals that significantly?

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 12:57 pm: Edit

Bombgigatron:
Both are excellent schools; you cannot go wrong with either one. If you really cannot decide on academics, decide on location as they are quite different.

Both will help you immensely with law school. If you can stand three extra years at which ever university you choose, both have amazing law programmes. Fairly arbitrary rankings of certain undergraduate departments will not penalize you in any manner. Law schools are aware of how students coming out of different undergrad programmes perform; some rank schools based on a formula that has absolutely nothing to do with USNWR. Basically, they average the LSAT score of the students applying from a college and use that to rank the undergrad programme. So, to answer your question, going to Georgetown will not affect your future law goals very significantly.

What you might want to do is look on law school websites (I know this is thinking way to far ahead) and search for how many students from Northwestern and Georgetown were admitted/matriculating to each one. This information is usually found under "prospective students" and then something like 2002 acceptees profile. If there is a law school which you would like to attend, this might make your decision easier.

My background: just graduated with chem-e and classics and looking at law school for 2004. So, some advice from someone who is going through the process now... go to a school which offers smaller classes for more group discussion, more interaction with professors, and one which will force you to become an excellent writer. I do not mean an above average writer, nor a good writer; I mean excellent, as attorneys need to be very precise with their words. Law schools all operate on the Socratic method, where you will read a series of cases and the professor will interrogate one student as to what the decision was, the underlying principles, etc. Good undergrad class discussion will help you immensely.

Finally, many law schools are Jesuit; probably a higher percentage than undergrad. This may be because Christianity has (for better or worse) influenced our legal system and legal precedent. Many law schools also are conservative. Just a thought.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 05:37 pm: Edit

Keep in mind, Bill Clinton went to Georgetown for his undergraduate. I wouldn't worry too much about it being too conservative - it's probably the most liberal of the catholic schools with only a 50% catholic student body.

By Obh100 (Obh100) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 05:27 pm: Edit

I got into both Georgetown and Northwestern, and will be attending Northwestern in the fall, Northwestern has top notch academics in almost every field imaginable, and is located in Chicago, however I must say if your going to do law, Georgetown is an absolute no brainer, your in DC you can rub shoulders with politicians, intern with them, the list goes on and on, I think Georgetown is a much better fit, and I'm going to Northwestern! But I'm a pre-med...

By Girl (Girl) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 07:17 pm: Edit

I know that rankings don't really matter, but USN&WR ranked NW 10th and GTWN 24th. It could be total BS, but the 14 school difference is a rather large gap. Good luck deciding!

By Bombgigatron (Bombgigatron) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 04:39 pm: Edit

Thanks for the help. Its looking like NU for now. They finaid package they sent me was ALOT bigger than Georgetown's.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page