?......Cover letter........?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: ?......Cover letter........?
By Goodkid2004 (Goodkid2004) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 04:41 pm: Edit

Hi guys,
What is this deal w/ the cover letter? It sounds cool, but, honestly, the thought of it would have never come to mind until I read about it here. Is it preferred, what is the format..? Are there any good websites explaining it? Thanx!!!

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Heavens! Do they really not teach this in school anymore? Ask your parents or anyone in the business world. A cover letter sets out the materials enclosed in your package and (hopefully) makes the reader look forward to digging into it. Simple as that - a few paragraphs, written with politeness and enthusiasm.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 05:25 pm: Edit

It's pretty self-explanatory.

It's a letter used to introduce yourself and tell the adcoms what you're all about and what you're including.

Generally, you put their address on the top left hand of the page (you usually put your address in the top right, but it doesn't really matter, considering they already know where you live :-p

Then you follow with a salutory comment. Ladies and Gentlemen:, Dear ________: (insert Dean of Admissions here), Dear Admissions Committee, etc.

Then, in a short letter, explain yourself...why you want to go to that college, any questions (you get brownie points if you put in something about that specific college [new professor, new book by professor, new laboratory, etc.] because it shows that you've researched the college), and what you're including in your file that you're sending. Then you leave contact information, and BAM! Well...not really BAM! Just:

Sincerely,

__________ (your name here)

By Goodkid2004 (Goodkid2004) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 05:27 pm: Edit

Is a cover letter only used when ur actually submitting stuff other than what they ask for, or for simply apps and essays as well? ..examples?
Thanx for ur help guys..

By Serene (Serene) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Goodkid: Don't worry so much about a cover letter. it really isn't that important. I am sure most of the students get in college w/o one.

Momof2: I think it's a good sign that they aren't teaching cover letters anymore. I think this world is becoming more and more practical -- which is good. After all, the content is much much more important than the packaging.

And I think it gives kids the wrong idea that image is everything.

By Mythspinner (Mythspinner) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 03:08 pm: Edit

you know, after spending months and months filling out these applications, who in the world is actually going to write a cover letter? it's just a regurgitation of all the stuff in your app

i think, anyhoo

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 03:26 pm: Edit

Umm...wrong. But do what you will.

By Sluggbugg (Sluggbugg) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 01:59 pm: Edit

Myth, think of it as a SHORT introduction. Whether or not to include a cover letter is a matter of style, and you get to decide if it's appropriate. I think it depends on the college and how formal you want to be in your presentation.

Some people like to begin with a cover letter as the first step in an orderly presentation. When applying for a job, it is always a good idea to write a brief cover letter. Some students add cover letters as a formal gesture when applying for college admission.

Cover letters do regurgitate some stuff, but the purpose of a cover letter is to cover the vast amount of info in your app by summarizing the most important things you want the reader to know before he/she gets into the details. A lengthy cover letter gives the impression that the applicant is inconsiderate of the adcom's time and all of the other apps they have to plow through. Make it no longer than three or four brief paragraphs in 12 pt. standard font on one page.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page