How do you deal with supplements?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: How do you deal with supplements?
By Pumpkintree (Pumpkintree) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 01:24 am: Edit

Would anyone please tell me how you deal with supps to the Common App? Do you fill them out on your PC and print them out or do it on a college's website or anything else (Can you fill out the supp on Common App too)?

Also, do you prefer applying online on a certain college's website or via the commonapp website and do the supp as well? Which one is more convenient?

Thanks for your input!

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 08:42 am: Edit

The supplements are actually a big OPPORTUNITY staring you right in the face!!!!

Let's say you filed the Common App online. OK now the college has a file on their hard drive. Hmmm. THAT's not very personal is it?

Print out the supplements, fill them out, and mail them in along with a letter!

Make this letter very personable---and be sure to reveal a lot about the kind of person you are. (Hint: this is a "cover letter")

By Pumpkintree (Pumpkintree) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 09:24 am: Edit

Thanks Morgantruce!

Hmm, so the cover letter you mean is something like a resume, isn't it?

And you prefer handwriting to typing? I thought it would really kill a lot of time coz ppl couldn't help but costantly make mistakes.

Would you detail what you mean by "very personable?"

Thanks in advance!

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 09:38 am: Edit

"cover letter")

typing applications

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:08 pm: Edit

to morgantruce: if I were to print out what I typed and cut and paste it on the application form, do you think it would be a good idea to use a different type of paper (ie. good-grade paper, marble paper etc.) do make the app "stand out"?

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:14 pm: Edit

im using next stop college apps at www.collegeboard.com, i think they are a lot better than the common app.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:44 pm: Edit

Canada,
Far be it from me to stifle anyone's creative mood!

The trick of course is to play with your word processor to get the thing to print out in just the right sized block of text for the available space.

Font, size, paper type ---you have to judge. I would put a word in for black ink and a very easy to read font. Use a good bit of glue stick... and get it straight!

Whatever you do, it should be subtle enough that the THOUGHTS are the focus, but if you read anything about print advertising, there's enough to make your head spin! Overkill.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page