When YOUR stats exceed the college Averages...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: When YOUR stats exceed the college Averages...
By Justplayin104 (Justplayin104) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

Is this when people start getting the full/huge-chunk-of-change scholarships??

But then wouldn't this mean that you would be surrounded by a bunch of mediocre and half-hearted students?? Wouldn't you be around a bunch of merely 'OK' professors?

For example, say your SAT score is 1340. And you attend a school whose average is around 1220 or 1200. Would this difference create such a large gap between you and your peers? Would your peers be more likely to bring you down, or would the professors not be challenging enough?

I'm just curious, because I just read where somebody noted that when you begin to have this great disparity, colleges are willing to dish out the money, which would almost leave no choice but to attend for the scholarship-dependent student...?

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 12:04 am: Edit

This is where you need to question - YOU AS A PERSON. How will that "competitive" school, change you as a person opposed to that much less "competitive" school.

Also at that much less competitive school will you learn a great deal more information than at the competitive school?

For example contrast an Ivy league school vs. a UC. At the Ivy League you'll be paying more than twice the price, question how much that added cost is really worth it?
--I know many colleges with "mediocre" students, that tend to have some of the worlds most renowned and best professors (UCSB, MI AMORE). Besides with an "OK" professor you might have the chance to have a pretty good relationship with him. But with other "super" professors, the odds are much worst, as you'll just be sitting in this megacomplex listening to him with half the student body. More than likely the "super" professor will not have extra time for you, whereas the "ok" professor will.

By Shaheedm (Shaheedm) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 06:30 am: Edit

No, this is when schools start REJECTING you because your stats are too good.

I think this site even points out that if a school thinks your stats are too good, they will purposely reject you to make their ratings look better, since you will never really attend that school anyway. They feel you are just using it as a backup to some "higher rated" school.

They can brag about rejecting students with good stats for the college ranking guides.

I don't know how prevalent this is, but it would be a factor to consider.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page