Importance of Knowledge

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Importance of Knowledge
By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

Knowledge is power to do what....

List a few examples of *WHY* knowledge is POWER. Think about your own education....

By Serene (Serene) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

this is a weird question. Knowledge is power to do ANYTHING. well ok, maybe you don't need knowledge to fall asleep or something, but other than the basic human needs, what can you do without any knowledge?

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 10:45 pm: Edit

What can you do with knowledge? Need specifics..

If you're a broker, you need knowledge in stocks...

If you're a doctor, you need knowledge in the medical field...

Same goes with all other occupations, BUT outside of these various specific knowledges, how is KNOWLEDGE power? You know the slogan knowledge is power, it seems to me after about the 5th grade, you'll have learned all the math you'll ever need to know. But the english language is much more vast and important to be knowledgable in - or any language to that matter. Because you can carry on an intellectual human being - yet I don't see how that gives you "power". Aside from the "power" to speak intellectually with another human being, I can't quite capture the absolute power knowledge gives a human being. Knowledge to me is the only pure "power"; I believe people in position of power (such as presidents, ADCOMS, senators etc. etc.) have the true "powers". EXPLAIN TO ME HOW KNOWLEDGE IS MORE POWERFUL THAN A PERSON IN A POSITION OF POWER.

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 10:46 pm: Edit

a conversation with an intellectual human being*

By Serene (Serene) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 10:50 pm: Edit

well... it depends on what knowledge you're talking about lol...
to get to the position of power you'd need knowledge of what to do and who to ask, no?

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 10:54 pm: Edit

I'm talking about an overall knowledge.....a knowledge in the sciences, the advanced maths, history, english all that. It seems to me if you're going to be a president, you don't need to know much about science or math. On the flipside if you're going to be a scientist you need to know tons about math and science.

By Serene (Serene) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:28 pm: Edit

the pres. has to be doing some job before he gets elected right... so the "some job" would have required some professional knowledge =)

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Alcoholic turned into governor of Texas.

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:44 pm: Edit

(Rein it in a little before you get your plug pulled - please)

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:47 pm: Edit

To stay on topic with the theme of college admissions - How do you think that 160,000 dollar knowledge ("education") will change as a person? Or has changed you...

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:50 pm: Edit

How will it "empower" you!

<To expand upon Momof2's suggestion, you have been consistently displaying questionable judgment in some of your posts. You have perhaps been cut a little slack because you are a frequent poster and have been around a while. However, your posts have caught the attention of at least three moderators, any one of whom can ban you. You have seemingly ignored previous cautions, perhaps thinking your charm will aid you. Honestly, I don't think any of us enjoys banning people but it gets tiring when a poster keeps throwing up posts that are judgment calls, it's easier to just ban you. If you want to stay around here, I'd consider every post you make from now on very carefully. You've reached the point where you have less slack than the average poster. A word to the wise. Or those who would like to be wise. --Obiwan>

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:57 pm: Edit

Knowledge is good for just self-satisfaction, for understanding the world in a far better way than ignorance lets you.

But, apropos of presidents and Senators, there are kinds of knowledge that let you know what they'll do sometimes before they do. Or, taking on the political, have some guess as to what the combination of crossed political undercurrents will produce.

E.g., I told a few people in December of 1991 that I thought Bill Clinton was going to win the 1992 election the following year...mind you, the first caucus and primary hadn't been held for the nomination, let alone the election. That ability is most definitely an artifact of my college education, amplified by subsequent experience in Washington, D.C. and elsewhere that I wouldn't have gotten without the education...the ability to read beyond the surface of current headlines and polls.

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 12:17 am: Edit

Obiwan

can we make a potpourri subject? Where you can post whatever you want, that way you guys won't have to make any judgement calls (aside from vulgar/abusive languange), within that alloted space..Just an idea...if not i'll just keep it strictly college matters.

<No. And you will note that posts are not limited strictly to college matters. But we do enforce tone, sense of judgment about topics in terms of what is appropriate or not. Also, no two moderators will have the exact same lines. However, if you say something that makes us look at you as if you had a squid hanging out of your mouth, you can figure it's going to be hit. At this point, with you having blown through the previous yellow lights, I can't speak for any other moderator but the next questionable post from you that I see, you're gone. No other poster has received or needed long explanations like this. That should tell you something right there, that you're a high maintenace poster. Think about it.>

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page