American's work ethic

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: American's work ethic
By Zerg_Vvins (Zerg_Vvins) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 05:39 pm: Edit

Personally I think America's work ethic in general is going down hill.
I recently attended an orientation at Berkeley. Guess what? 77% of the kids going there had at least one parent born out of the U.S.
What does that say about the native born Americans and their kids?
I say it's probably for the better. If they don't want to work hard in this land of opportunities, they should move aside and let those
who do want to work hard get ahead.
As for the minorit blacks and hispanics, I don't think there should be an exception. If they want to work hard, they will get ahead and if
not then too bad. Most of the time it's not about the lack of opportunities given to the blacks and hispanics, it's just that most of them
for some reason, don't care... it's more of a cultural issue than a race issue. For example do you think a vietnamnese war refugee and
his children have any more opportunities than a african american or a hispanic?

By Serene (Serene) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 06:18 pm: Edit

the one point you're ignoring is that a work ethic is not intrinsic to a race.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 06:23 pm: Edit

Double posted question = double posted answer!

I recently attended an orientation at Berkeley. Guess what? 77% of the kids going there had at least one parent born out of the U.S. What does that say about the native born Americans and their kids?

Maybe, just maybe, did the parents do their homework and after checking the ethnic distribution of the admission decided to abstain.

For example do you think a vietnamnese war refugee and his children have any more opportunities than a african american or a hispanic?

Have ... probably not.

But if would rephrase your question to

For example do you think a vietnamnese war refugee and his children have HAD any more opportunities than a african american or a hispanic?

Check the UC statistics, and the answer would be a resounding YES. Over the years, the Under-representation status became a massive OVER-representation.

Here is an article for you:

TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING?

When affirmative action was first implemented in the early 1970s, Asian Americans benefitted from it in large numbers, as did Blacks, Hispanics/Latinos, American Indians and the group that has benefitted the most, White women. Since that time, Asian Americans have achieved notable successes in educational attainment, employment, and income (see the earlier discussion on the model minority image).

In fact, on many university campuses around the country, Asian Americans soon became disproportionately represented. That is, it was common for 10%, 15%, or more of a university’s student population to be of Asian ancestry at a time when Asians were only about 3% of the general population. This was also because the Asian American population is relatively young, so many more Asians were applying to college than before as well.

And before you dismiss as propaganda, check the source:

http://www.asian-nation.org/affirmative-action.shtml

Here comes Sheeprun :)

By Zerg_Vvins (Zerg_Vvins) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 06:27 pm: Edit

it might not be intrinsic in a race but it can certainly be imbued within a culture.

also double posted answer=double posted comeback

my point exactly!

Some people take the opportunities given to them and prosper while others neglect the opportunities and cry discrimination

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page