Looking for Major (and future career)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Looking for Major (and future career)
By Techieguy (Techieguy) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 02:39 am: Edit

Greetings, I am a rising senior in high school and I have no idea what I want to do in life. I like computers though. And science, except physics.

I was reading in TIME today about a mechanical flower that changes color and moves its petals when you put your hand over it. That seems like something I would like to do as a career, make those things.

But I have no idea what major that would be or what career that would be called.

Can anyone help? I need an answer to the question above. Or a suggestion for a career choice would be nice.

I would appreciate any advice :)

By Techieguy (Techieguy) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 05:06 pm: Edit

Does anyone have anything to say?

Please help.

By Techieguy (Techieguy) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Bump.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 07:08 pm: Edit

Some of the engineering fields... watch out though, electrical engineers design the circuitry of that, chemical design how colour change responds to electricity/heat/light, mechanical design the petal movements... you get the general idea. Look into engineering programmes, see what research is being done, and check out curricula before you make a decision (some require much more physics than others - you'll have to suffer through at least one semseter, but it isn't bad).

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Tech:

To tell you the truth, I would bet that PHYSICISTS designed it...or at least came up with the idea.

By Techieguy (Techieguy) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Bump

Ok thx, if it involves physics I'm not interested.

What I really want to do is do something with biology or medicine, but my high school Activities have been computer-based so I have a feeling I'll get rejected if I apply as a Bio major.

Anyone know any careers involving medicine/bio and computers?

And here are my Activities:

Quiz Bowl - Prez (12), Secretary (11)
Asian Club - Prez (12), Secretary (11)
Latin Club - Webdesigner
Chemistry Team
Biology Team
Physics Team
Marching Band/Concert Band/Jazz Band
Tech Job - I do unpaid work at the Tech Office instead of going to lunch

I asked my Computer Science/Algebra II teacher for a recommendation already.
I'll probably ask my US History/Government teacher for another recommendation.

Also, I have a job lined up next summer at the school tech office.

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Biotechnology fits the medicine/biology/computer description pretty well.... But then you won't be able to make any mechanical flowers. hehe
Good Luck

By Techieguy (Techieguy) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 02:36 pm: Edit

Ok, what do I major in college for that? And how do I tell colleges that I'm interested in Bio even though my activities have been computer-based?

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Well, 'Biotechnology' is an actual major at several colleges. You did have some Biology involvement, and there is also the computer and chemical component of Biotechnology, which you were involved with. I'd say for most colleges, you'd meet the EC requirements for entry into a BioTech program. On second observation, however, another major that would also fit your description is 'Biomedical Computing'. An example of this major's curriculum can be seen @ RIT Biomedical Computing
That has more of the computer and medical elements integrated, whereas Biotechnology is mostly Biology.
Hope that helped.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page