International Application Request (did you received it?)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: International Application Request (did you received it?)
By Amylase (Amylase) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 12:38 am: Edit

Hi,

If you are international, post here which application have you received this year and your nationality.

Just to make sure no one miss the app.

I'm in China. Only got Northwestern

By Ceci (Ceci) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 05:31 am: Edit

They don't send them out so soon. I got Northwestern (rubbish, no fin aid, and they sent me all the wrong stuff) and a single sheet of A4 double-printed paper from MIT.

By Heartfang (Heartfang) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 10:19 am: Edit

From Malaysia,

WUSTL,some crap unis that I am not applying to and Ohio Wesleyan.

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:06 pm: Edit

Hm. I'm in Canada but so far I've only gotten application + viewbook from Harvard. I've requested apps from several other universities but I didn't get them yet.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 02:16 am: Edit

You got it from Harvard?

well, i requested it but haven't received it yet.

Maybe I should wait, cause Canada seemed to be in all ways different from the rest of the world.
They tend to treat canada same as U.S.

Or should I request it again on their website?

By Heartfang (Heartfang) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 04:21 am: Edit

argh , i haven'tgot harvard. or princeton. or any of hypsm.

By Rashmi (Rashmi) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 05:01 am: Edit

I'm Indian and have also recieved that single sheet from MIT, just like Ceci has.

I've put my self on the mailing list of most of the colleges which I would want to apply to. Most of the colleges say that they'll start mailing in August.
So just wait for a couple of weeks more...and study for any SAT's which you have'nt taken.

Ok..since this thread is for internationals....how many of you are taking TOEFL..and if you have what are your scores.
My SAT-I Verbal is 690 (I know that its not great)..but then after a 690 I don't think that I need to take TOEFl...do you think I need to????

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 04:31 pm: Edit

well did you guys get a postcard from princeton which said that they'll be revising the application form and will be sending it out soon?

it came like 3 days after i requested the app from them.

By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 04:49 pm: Edit

Canadian Idol, when did you send in your request's for the application? Maybe that would be the difference. And did you request the appliation through the site? etc...

By Ceci (Ceci) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 12:23 pm: Edit

I think most schools (especially the top ones which I'm sure we're all going for) REQUIRE a minimum TOEFL score, as long as english is not your first language. I got a 800 in verbal but I'm still planning to take the TOEFL. It's better to be safe right? Anyway, I'm sure you'll do fine cos everybody I know tell me it's way easier than the SAT and once you get pass the 'required' score, it doesn't really matter whether you get the top scores or not.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Sunday, July 13, 2003 - 07:01 pm: Edit

ceci, which country are you from?

And for TOEFL, I can't agree with you. You already have verbal 800 and SAT 1600. I don't think you need to take Toefl. COlleges simply know that you will get a perfect score garanteed.

And by the way, how did you get your 1600? Have you did a lot of prep, memorized a lot of wordlists? just give me a clue I need to give my SAT a boost.

By Ceci (Ceci) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 04:25 am: Edit

I'm from Hong Kong. How about you?

About the TOEFL, I must be honest that I am not certain whether a verbal 800 would still require a TOEFL exam. I would certainly be very very happy if I don't have to take it because it's so expensive, but since I don't know anybody else in a similar situation, most of my upperclassmen told me to take it anyway. I might possibly email the schools to verify this, and I'll give you guys an update. I'm pretty certain that I will take it though, just to be on the safe side.

I took a prep course at Kaplan 3 years ago, so although that probably helped, I don't think it affected me much. I studied Barron's word list, at first attempting to go through the 3000 but (obviously) gave up pretty soon. Overall, I think I memorized app. 300 new words. I'm a big reader though, and I read a lot more books during the month before my SAT and made myself look up the words I didn't know (cos I usually just go on reading) it might be a good idea to read more books that are at a more advanced level than you're used to, so you'd encounter more new words. Oh yeah, and do the 10 Real SATs. It really helps! I scored at the high 600s when I started than progressed to high 700s, so I recommend that to everyone.

By Frustrated (Frustrated) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 04:43 am: Edit

hi ceci, i m from hong kong too. i now live in us though. wat high school do u go to? and wat college do u want to go?

By Wharton1986 (Wharton1986) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 05:03 am: Edit

i dont get it..what d u mean by requesting for applications?..
arent any of u guys doin online applications?????????????????????

By Caspa (Caspa) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 06:48 am: Edit

hi there, i am international student from Nigeria. Just took the SATI and had a math score of 800 and verbal 650. need some info for good schools i cld apply to 4 spring 2004. I am also working towards a full tuition scholarship please. really would appreciate any useful info. i chose michigan state u, morgan state u, howard u and arizona state u in my SAT form. God makes all things possible.

thanks a great deal.

By Heartfang (Heartfang) on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 02:34 am: Edit

wharton: yeah, but it is easier to look over info in paper, THEN do it online.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page