IS TAKING A YEAR OFF REALLY THAT BAD!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: IS TAKING A YEAR OFF REALLY THAT BAD!!!
By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

ok..i just graduated like two months ago...
and right now im in SOUTH KOREA (awesome country....da best~~) well anyways.. ive decided to take a year off...just studying and working..my friends are telling thats a BIG NO
since colleges will think that i spent a whole year just studying for the SAT's... i hope my friends are wrong.. because i thought that work experience and stuff like that loooked good in your resume...well.. im waiting for your opinions..hopefully good ones but im made of stone..if my friedns are right.. they just tell me straightforward T.T

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:29 pm: Edit

I've seen several reports that say that it is a GOOD idea and very good for younger students.

I think they call it a GAP year. The caveat is that you should do something worthwhile and not simply hang around and waste your time.

It may be tempting to spend all day on a computer in S. Korea with normal connections speeds of 4 times the speed of US T1 lines. And then you get hooked to Lineage :)

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 02:14 am: Edit

well thanks for your warning...just wondering..u korean?? not alot of people know about lineage...

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 02:55 am: Edit

You see Xiggi, I was not the only one to assume!

By Kimfuge (Kimfuge) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 05:03 am: Edit

hey Wjk, I'm korean and i go to SIS. Where you from?

By Serene (Serene) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 08:23 am: Edit

Xiggi: usually it's students who'd gotten admission already who do the gap year, isn't it?

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 09:10 am: Edit

hey...KIMFUGE...you go to SIS???i was just there
like two months ago.. i took the AP's there...i was like the special kid from guatemala if you remember...if you dont... T.T

anyways... thanks to your school i was able to take my AP's.

peace

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:22 am: Edit

Serene~

I am not sure about the semantics. I think GAP year just means that you take a year off between HS and starting college. If you are accepted, the college may grant you Deferred Admission.

I also read that in the East Coast they refer to the year absence with two letters. I forgot which ones but it sounded like PG. LOL!

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 11:35 am: Edit

You see Xiggi, I was not the only one to assume!

Yes, I know. If the trend continue, I will be able to tick EVERY box on my applications!

well thanks for your warning...just wondering..u korean?? not alot of people know about lineage...

Everyone who reads about the online RPG knows about Lineage. There is an article in the Jul 21, 2003 Forbes -just came out- about South Korea's broadband. The article mentions its impact on people and talks about Lineage. Four times the speed of a T1 line makes me drool. It would make my WI-FI tech support job easier if I could deliver that kind of speed :)

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 01:00 pm: Edit

ivy colleges often recommend that you take a gap year as a year to add maturity and perspective enriches your college experience.
after your gap year you may want to add to your regular colleges as the addition to your resume will bump you up a notch in standings if you have done something thoughtful with your time and not just worked flipping hamburgers and partying

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

cool..that helps...thanks all of you..but one last question..

define...PRODUCTIVE...

most of you said that it is good to take a gap year if you do something productive or thoughtful.. and i dont quite understand what that means...T.T

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 07:53 pm: Edit

a plan to be productive you need a plan
f'r instance, my daughter spend a year volunteering with Americorps
A friend was a barely paid intern at a newspaper
another young man helped to teach high school in Micronesia
Have a goal in mind in where you are going to spend your time and energy. Plan on spending at least if not more than 40 hrs a week for whatever lenght of time you are taking off from school.
Don't forget to allow for expenses. Many programs however allow to work for room and board, and especailly overseas can be much more affordable than in the States.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 08:29 pm: Edit

You're expanding your horizons and learning a new culture, thus, being productive, maybe?

>>since colleges will think that i spent a whole year just studying for the SAT's<<

Your SAT score report says when you took what test. (Month and year, like 06/2003) So if your score report has no tests taken then they will be able to dismiss the thought that you spent a year studying for the test.

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 09:16 am: Edit

just out of curiosity..EMERALD..where did your daughter end up going to college..

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 12:49 pm: Edit

She is a junior at Reed college in portland oregon, her previous first choice school was Evergreen State college

By Amagetdon01 (Amagetdon01) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:47 pm: Edit

Lineage is boring.
I mean even if you do have a +11 rapier with -60 ac ...what's the point of the game..?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page