?????****Does it help to be multi-lingual****????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: ?????****Does it help to be multi-lingual****????
By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 05:43 pm: Edit

I was wondering if knowing many languages helps in addmissions even if they werent learned in class. By the way, the languages are:
english, spanish, german, hebrew(learned in class), and I can speak yiddish and italian.

By Serene (Serene) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

I think that's great and would help to an extent =)

By Delirious (Delirious) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 06:23 pm: Edit

It depends on what you mean by "knowing a language."

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 07:01 pm: Edit

By knowing I mean speaking, writing, and reading. For yiddish and italian, I can only speak it well.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:39 pm: Edit

Edited out. Looked up the difference between Hebrew and Yiddish! Xiggi, the dumbass, thought they were similar :(

<b>What's the difference between Yiddish & Hebrew? </b>

Yiddish is fundamentally a Germanic language written in Hebrew characters used by the Jews of Central and Eastern Europe. The vocabulary is enriched with a great many borrowings from Hebrew and other languages, particularly Polish. The word "Yiddish" itself is Yiddish for "Jewish" ("Yid" means "Jew")

Hebrew, on the other hand, is an ancient Semitic Language, related to Arabic, Aramaic and Akkadian (Babylonian). The Bible was written in Hebrew. Use of Hebrew as the language of everyday living seems to have died out about the time of the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D. (later than was once believed), although it continued to be used by the Jewish community as a liturgical and literary medium. With the rise of the Zionist Movement in the 19th century, Hebrew was resurrected as a living language and used by Zionist settlers in the Holy Land as their everyday tongue. In this way Hebrew was ready to assume its role as the national language of the modern state of Israel when the Jewish State was reborn in 1948.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 06:49 pm: Edit

how would u mention that in a application though? i mean, i am totally fluent in 3 languages, speak and understand fluently 2 others, and read and write 1 other. HOW CAN I TELL THEM THIS??

By Serene (Serene) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Well... the application would either ask you that, or you can put languages as one of your hobbies =)

By Serene (Serene) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Well... the application would either ask you that, or you can put languages as one of your hobbies =)

By Lme529 (Lme529) on Saturday, July 12, 2003 - 11:58 pm: Edit

on form 1 it asks you "languages spoken at home"

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page