SAT scores overlooked by AP scores

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: SAT scores overlooked by AP scores
By Reeses (Reeses) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:22 pm: Edit

I think this is good news: In A is for Admissions, the author, who is a former dartmouth admin officer, says that if an applicant gets for example, mid-600 sat scores: 670 bio, 650 math level 1, 660 spanish listening, the scores are not weak, but the applicant does not stand out academically. Then she turns to the student's AP scores and sees a 5 on AP bio, a 5 on BC calculus, and a 4 on spanish literature. "Clearly the 4 is more indicative of ability to do strong college work than the SAT II listening test." For bio, "If the student's AI placed him in the academic 5 or 6 catergory, the officer would probably boost the academic rating to 7 because of excellent AP scores."

"In addition, if the student didn't seem to be that exceptional academically, a number of high AP scores could suddenly change the picture dramtically."

"If you score three or more APs over 3, you are designated an AP scholar by the College Board, a meaningful academic award for any highly selective admissions commitee."

(this is on page 92) So do you guys think a 4 would overrule low sat scores too?

By Giants (Giants) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 07:43 pm: Edit

I don't know how much credit I would put into that book or the whole Academic Index, but I certainly think that anything in the 4 to 5 range on an AP test shows that you are capable of doing college-level work. With that being said, I had 4 5's on APs and 3870 on the SATI/II's when I applied and didn't get into any of the Ivies that I applied to so you never know. Do the best that you can and hopefully things will turn out in your favor.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page