Is this essay topic cliche??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Is this essay topic cliche??
By Swimalias (Swimalias) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 10:06 pm: Edit

I wrote an essay (definitely not perfected yet...just wanted to get my ideas down) about a trip I took in eighth grade. For the past 25 or so years, it has been tradition of the eighth grade class to go on a 5 day camping trip. We spend the first month of school preparing for it. It's a bonding trip but also includes TONS of academic work in it - nature related. It's an extremely high praised experience in my town and area. It was an awesome experience I'll never forget. On the second day, you hike to the summit. Anyways, so my essay basically related how I felt while on the summit to a famous quote about learning to feel with your heart- one of the kids in my class has been in a wheelchair all his life because his legs didn't grow as a baby, so he can't walk. So at the beginning of 8th grade, he was so sure he wouldn't be able to go on the trip (everyone looks forward to it sooo much, starting from like 5th grade). Anyways, to make a long story short, I described the situation, and said how by contacting a handicap company, we were able to get him to the summit, and described how I would always remember more the look of pure joy on his face when he reached the summit more than any photos I took. It's more in detail than that, but does that sound too "typical?" I had a few friends read it and they started crying....I've heard that moving admission officers are definitely a good way to make your essay stand out - is this true?

Go Class of 2004!!

By Reeses (Reeses) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

sounds like a great story, but eighth grade is a long time ago...don't they want to hear about recent things?

By Swimalias (Swimalias) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Well the question asks you to write about an experience that defined a value, so I figured that it doesn't really matter when I learned it does it? I mean it changed my view on life tremendously, so does it matter that it's in 8th grade? That was my reasoning....

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

Can you write a meaningful and truthful essay without spelling out what year it occurred? Unless the topic mentions a recent event it should work.

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:19 pm: Edit

Hmm that sounds interesting! It sounds like you've written a good essay. can i read it just out of curiosity? =D

Way to be, 2003!

By Rashmi (Rashmi) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 07:05 am: Edit

ya...do post it here.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page