Help me decide on math/eng/sci MAJORS!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Help me decide on math/eng/sci MAJORS!
By Quarky (Quarky) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Will be a coll fresh with soph standing.

Possibilities:

a) B.S. in Electrical Engineering. Then grad school.
b) B.S. in EE; heavy schedule every year, some grad courses during 4th year in college (this would allow me to be ahead on my grad school degree).
c) Double-major in EE and Mathematics. WOuld have to take quite a few math credits...
d) Major in EE, minor in Math - -peace of cake.
e) Double-major in EE and Chemical E. -- MANY ChE credits to take care of... not a good option, in my opinion.
f) Double-major in EE and Chemistry (option A: General Chemistry)-- just over 20 additional credits, could get this in 4 years, maybe 4.5 with a lighter schedule.
g) Double-major in EE and Chem (option B: professional Chemistry) -- more credits, would take at least 5 year, but I would then have a broad knowledge of chem, and can get some nat'l certification, cannot remember its title.

Note to options f and g: a Chem professor would do 2 nice things for me if I get a Chem major:
1) Let me take Honors Chem 111, which is currently full.
2) Get me into chem research right away!

What do you guys think?

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:17 pm: Edit

do whatever /you/ want!

you're the one who's going to be taking the classes and get its benefits/disadvantages... we don't know your values so we can't help you. (and plus if you realize you don't like something you might blame us for that lol)

By Quarky (Quarky) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:40 pm: Edit

bump

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 12:43 am: Edit

C and D aren't really going to do that much for you professionally; also, you'll probably get burned out on the (nearly exclusive) math-science. If you can get through engin., employers/grad schools will realize that you know math quite well. I tried minoring in math (do not think this is completely unbiased!) and realized that it was adding very little to my knowledge base - I was not learning an entirely new area or learning to think in a different way or approach problems differently.

Between A and B, option B is better (unless you really want to enjoy the social experience at college), as it'll help you get into grad programmes or will save you money (or both!). Option B might help you get your masters in a year, as you can have the coursework done and only need to do the research.

Between options F and G: if you want to do something with EE and chem, then find out if you need the professional chem. degree; if not, go for F. Talk to professors and people in the field (or recent graduates) to understand what career options this helps you with.

Option E is possible... but it would really be tough. Very, very tough, as chem-e is the most demanding of the majors with the least flexible of requirements (very few electives). That will make scheduling your required classes a nightmare. The extra major might help you get into certain specialized fields... but a lot of chem-e is learning to design manufacturing plants.

Basically, look into the course requirements for each of these options, and see if they are something you would be interested in. Take whichever option most corresponds with the additional area which you would like to learn about. :) College will be much more fun that way. :)

By Quarky (Quarky) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 02:38 am: Edit

Thanks for those advices, I appreciate your help. Anyone else?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page