Sir Moreau and his future

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Sir Moreau and his future
By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 07:50 pm: Edit

My family has strong ties with Cornell and odds are pretty good i'd be able to get in. However, basing the decision without the family ties based on my stats, Cornell would be a long shot for me. My outer family has been pressuring me to apply to Cornell and attend Cornell, because my "cousin" did and he is very successful blah blah. But honestly do you think i'm fit for Cornell?
1. I hate snowy conditions (although i've never lived in it)
2. I've never even been to Ithaca
3. I don't really want some extremely rigorous cirriculum. Even though Business does interest me and history, so maybe i'd enjoy the rigor.

Do you guys think I should follow my families demands and go to Cornell? Or create my own path, by going to a UC in southern california somewhere? Then go to the graduate school at Johnson or the hotel school.

In not deciding to apply to Cornell I feel as though i might be missing out an oppertunity to be an ivy leaguer, yet I don't know if it would suit me. What are your thoughts anyone?

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 08:01 pm: Edit

My son decided he doesn't want to apply to Duke, which would be a reach, but where he'd be a double legacy (plus a couple grandparents and a great-grandparent!). Fine with us; we aren't going to push him.

If you want to go someplace else, by all means do so. There's a lot more to college than the status of the name.

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 08:10 pm: Edit

agree.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 09:00 pm: Edit

Double agree. If you don't think Cornell is right for you, follow your gut instincts. The UC's and private Calif. you've said elsewhere that you are interested in are all very good schools.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 09:05 pm: Edit

I think you need to look into Cornell a whole lot more. Look and see where your SATs and other stats line up with the averages. If your not at dead bottom, you'd probably do OK there. They are not going to admit you if they didn't feel you could do the work---no matter what your connections are. It's certainly a very good school that you just might click in with.

Being a college student is largely an indoor profession. I'm not saying that you won't notice the cold weather, but it's not like you're signing up for shoveling sidewalks 40 hours a week either. You sound pretty adaptable to me. The change of coast will do you good.

I've encountered quite a few people who have gone to Cornell and one fellow who headed a department there---all very down to earth and nice people... no jerks. There are some areas of business management there that you will not find nearly anywhere else.

If you don't at least examine the school very closely now, you will always have that lingering doubt in your mind later on.

Using one's connections is as American as apple pie. Ignoring them can be imprudent. I'm not saying that you should go there if you really hate everything you find out about the place, but I think you should probably apply and see what happens. If they reject you, you'll never look back over your shoulder.

By Spartan858585 (Spartan858585) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

SirMoreau I say go for it and apply to Cornell. It's not like you have to go if you get in plus you will be making your parents happy. You can at least say I applied. Not many people have connections with a prestigious university like Cornell so if you do, it would be in your favor to at least apply. Carve out your own path in life. Don't go to Cornell just because your parents are pushing you. If you really like the UC's and Cal Poly then go there. Just remember you will be studying/living wherever you choose so make sure its your choice and not your parent's choice.

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 10:49 pm: Edit

My cousin went to Cornell and he appearently loved it. Plus he was adapting from a warmer climate too, as he grew up in Florida. I just researched the stats and my SAT scores are only in the 25th percentile, so i'm not dead last. I do however want to score higher than a 1250. Spartan you make a good point about applying there, however, if I do get accepted - I will be experiencing severe pressure from my entire family. If I didn't apply it would make the burden easier on me, it would feel as though the albatross around my neck, was knocked out cold. But I think i'll probably just apply, because I know they can't "force" me to go there, besides I might start liking it after I do some more research and maybe visit it next year.

MorganTruce - Ironic how we were just posting about the west coast and east coast rivalry, isn't it obvious i've grown to love the west coast? Perhaps the change in coasts would be harmful to my health, on the other hand, if I did go to the east coast, my love may change...so many possibilities. Do you think I still might be rejected if my cousin is a pretty big contributor? Plus my great-great grandmother was the first librarian in the Hotel School - not too mention my family donated lots of money in the creation of it before the Nestle' family became a family name (thats another reason why my parents want me to apply..I think its a joke). Besides I believe my cousins stats were not that "great" either, he didn't have much going for him, much like myself. On the flipside if I apply and get a lovely rejection letter than I want have to attend! My family will just look at me as a failure, but I could careless! I wouldn't mind going to the grad school though, besides grad school or not i'll probably end up working way WAY underneath my cousin someday..my life is looking just fabulous (not). I want to blaze my own trail.....

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

In the creation of the "library"..sorry for the mix up.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Srim, you should definitely apply. I could understand about your decision about keeping the weight off, but nonetheless...a little nagging is well worth the trouble instead of having lingering doubts for the rest of your life.

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:01 pm: Edit

SirM - please pardon the butting-in, but it just occurred to me: I know you are struggling some with your SAT score, but have you taken the ACT a time or two? I don't visit here regularly, so again, excuse me if I missed a post or three. I know Cornell also accepts ACT.

I ask because my son also inexplicably struggled with SAT scores below his potential, grades and other test scores. He managed a 34 ACT comp. which helped him gain admission to all of his chosen schools. With your fluency in written language, I would predict you would do well on the ACT. Just my 2c worth - good luck.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:09 pm: Edit

don't do it. dont apply if you dont want to go. period. you will be wasting the $70 on an app fee.

seriously though. its neat to have connections to a place like cornell. if you look into it more and you like it, then by all means, go. but if you dont want to go and would only go because of family pressures, dont fall for it.

for all you know, you could be taking someone's spot who would have LOVED to go. but if you think you would like it, then go for it. you have the hook-ups

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:28 pm: Edit

Whether you are accepted or rejected, one thin is certain: they will NEVER let you know whether "connections" had any part in it.

Applying to a college is a bit like shooting an ill-tempered rhinoceros that's charging you: it would be very foolish to shoot one round from your 22 caliber pistol---and hope things work out. You want to use the biggest bore magnum rifle you have in your tent... and you want to get off as many rounds as you possibly can!

What I'm suggesting is that if you do send in an application to Cornell, you should play every angle of the connection that you can think of---and that THEY can think of: multiple letters from every immaginable source, phone calls, emails. And you must play a very positive force. It will not work if you at all appear to be an unwilling accomplice in this deed that everyone else is trying to pull off. Your application has to be alive with interest.

While you should avoid ANY kind of bragging about "connection" or suggesting that such a connection is going to get you in----you must take EVERY opportunity to tell everyone you can think of how grateful you are to those who support your application. Colleges love polite applicants, but can spot a suck up at the gate. Behave.

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:35 pm: Edit

I'm mainly just pissed off because my family is a bunch of arrogant aceholes . First off my parents are cool - yet they haven't saved any money for college, so I pretty much am forced to go to a public school. However, my uncle will help cover whatever money is needed if I go to Cornell, but he won't help pay for any private schools in California, like Pepperdine or USD .

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:39 pm: Edit

>>>>Applying to a college is a bit like shooting an ill-tempered rhinoceros that's charging you: it would be very foolish to shoot one round from your 22 caliber pistol---and hope things work out. You want to use the biggest bore magnum rifle you have in your tent... and you want to get off as many rounds as you possibly can!

This is the funniest college analogy, i've ever heard - long and far - yet it is so true. When i'm lining up those college applications i'll be sure to strap on my bore magnum rifle and will be willing to unload.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 12:57 am: Edit

Cornell can't be that rigorous. Ann Coulter is a graduate ;-)

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 01:32 am: Edit

Well...at least Michael Moore didn't go there.

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 01:58 am: Edit

Yeah well...Sir Moreau also will not be a graduate as he is not Cornell material.

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 02:25 am: Edit

How can Cornell seem appealing? Look at the view from UCSB....

http://www.id.ucsb.edu/IR/CampusMap/QTVR/StorkeTower.mov

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page