Tutoring: admissions plus?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Tutoring: admissions plus?
By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 05:52 pm: Edit

I have been tutoring in math and science about 15-20 hours a week, ever since the first semester freshman year. will colleges see that as a big plus? The thing is, i don't do it for pay, i volunteer and do it.

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 05:54 pm: Edit

it's good. but not a *big* plus. a lot of students do that.

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 08:50 pm: Edit

You've been tutoring math THREE HOURS A DAY, SIX DAYS A WEEK, for three years?

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 08:55 pm: Edit

Yup!
Monday- 3 hours
Tuesday- 3 hours
Wednesday- 1 hour (volunteer at hospital)
Thursday- 3-4 hours
Friday- o hours (too lazy)
Saturday- 3-4 hours
Sunday- 4 hours

By Reeses (Reeses) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 09:33 pm: Edit

woah

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

I'm with Reeses. Woah!

You must have tutored half the kids in your state.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

yeah, i take it pretty seriously. So its worth putting on the college app? Or would adcoms see it as a turnoff for some reason?

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:14 pm: Edit

oh wait... lol...

sorry about my earlier post.

i think any EC is great with that level of dedication. =)

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:30 pm: Edit

cool! thanks!
So, what's the best way to prove to colleges that i really did do that much? i do all my weekday tutoring in this teacher's classroom- he's really cool and he's there till 8:00 everyday anyways, so he doesn't mind. he had me for a student last year and really liekd me, so i'm gonna get a rec from him anyways. Should i have him put it in the rec, or have some of the people i tutored write a letter confirming it?

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 01:06 am: Edit

Definitely have him mention the tutoring in the rec - ideally with support for the hours per week.

By Useatoothbrush (Useatoothbrush) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 03:09 am: Edit

That's more time than most people spend on varsity sports or part-time jobs. That's quite a bit of volunteer work then, no? I'd emphasize that level of dedication for sure, and especially if you are interested in teaching.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:56 pm: Edit

would this be a good topic for one of my essays?

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 06:01 pm: Edit

yes - IF you can avoid sounding too saintly. By the way, how did you get into this and WHY do you devote so many hours to it? Does it relate to your future plans?

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Well, in early freshman year i got into it because one of my friends asked to be tutored. At my school and neighboring high schools, there's a lot of people who want/need to be tutored, but they are all too embarrassed to go to an after school program in public or something. So, mine is done as a "secret thing" in a sense; no one comes into the teacher's room, so no other kids know about it, and i never mention it at any other time. People told people, and suddenly i had a bunch of people emailing me or asking me. However corny it may sound, it was really nice helping people go from a D to a B or A, or Failing to a B. And there were ALOT of people who wanted it. I decided that if i'm going to do it, might as well put my heart and time into it. Ironically, the last thing i want to be is a teacher, because i hate teaching large groups. I LOVE helping one on one, but not groups for some reason.

By Tenista09 (Tenista09) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

HaHaHa, sorry to say, but it's not worth mentioning. You will look like an application padder if you mention that. Not to mention that it only has a downside. It will make you look like a slacker.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 07:31 pm: Edit

Tenista09,
which part is not worth mentioning?

By Tenista09 (Tenista09) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 07:34 pm: Edit

Lol, hahaha, I was only kidding. That's the vibe I get from many of the persons on this board. Of course you should mention that; it shows dedication.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 08:09 pm: Edit

hehe. wow, i feel like an idiot! lol. thx

By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Why dont you start your own tutoring company and get other people (your friends) to tutor for you. You give them people to tutor and a schedule (when and where) and they give you a small portion of the profits for the contacts. This way you can increase the amount of people you tutor, make lots more money, and show colleges that you have the ability to take your interests to the next level. Just a suggestion

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:45 pm: Edit

yeah, i was thinking of that, but the thing is, i don't tutor for money. But maybe a free tutoring company...i'll have to check whether my friends would be interested in that.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:46 pm: Edit

yeah, i was thinking of that, but the thing is, i don't tutor for money. But maybe a free tutoring company...i'll have to check whether my friends would be interested in that.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 08:43 pm: Edit

4 hours on a Thursday? How do you do homework?

I would assume after clubs at school you would probably come home around 3-4. 4 hours on that means you would be done at ~8:00 and probably get home ~9:00? Man, how do you find the time? You must have been pulling all-nighters all the time.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 10:41 pm: Edit

well, for my school, on friday, school starts at 9:3 instead of 7:50, so i can do my homework friday morning. yep, i get home at about 8 or nine each weekday, except fridays, which is my chill and be social day. lol

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page