Harvey Mudd

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Harvey Mudd
By Compscidad (Compscidad) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 05:29 pm: Edit

My son is very interested in Harvey Mudd. He is very math/computer oriented and is
interested in studying computer science. Any thoughts on Harvey Mudd or other similar
schools?

By Oops (Oops) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 06:47 pm: Edit

I heard once from someone from Mudd who graduated 2 years ago that he thought that the pure sciences and the humanities/social sciences are all taught well, but the engineering classes are not. Aside from that, Harvey Mudd seems to me an intense school that (to me) is academically in the math and sciences superior to most of the Ivys and other LACs. It is similar to Caltech and maybe MIT, but with less prestige and less resources for research.

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 09:06 pm: Edit

For Comp Sci, Carnegie Mellon and MIT are probably the best.

By Kewkiekid (Kewkiekid) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 02:15 am: Edit

Harvey Mudd is a great school, and with the consortium it's in it's even better!

By _Pan (_Pan) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 03:46 am: Edit

I've heard Harvey Mudd is a very hand's on school: "If you are interested in something, do it".

By Chrisd (Chrisd) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 08:46 am: Edit

Carnegie Mellon is probably tops for CS. For a school with a similar style of Harvey Mudd, you might look at Olin College of Engineering.

By Compscidad (Compscidad) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 09:53 am: Edit

Thanks for the info -- anyone else? Not being from California, HM is not very familiar to us.

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 10:56 am: Edit

> "For a school with a similar style of Harvey Mudd, you might look at Olin College of Engineering."

Or Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in Indiana.

Harvey Mudd is a excellent small tech school that benefits (primarily socially) from sharing a campus with an assortment of liberal arts colleges.

By Chrisd (Chrisd) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 12:03 pm: Edit

Baltodad: Are these schools on your son's list of schools to apply to? I seem to recall that Rose-H sends out application materials quite early, with no fee if you apply by a certain date.

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Rose-Hulman and Olin are both on his list. He plans an overnight at each this Fall.

Not sure about the Rose-Hulman application. My son hasn't applied yet.

Harvey Mudd dropped off his list because of the driving distance from home (he has a car) and the rather intimidating SAT levels. (He's a 700 in math, and 720 is the 25th percentile at Mudd.)

I think his current list looks something like this (in no particular order and subject to constant change):

U of Md
Va Tech
U of Michigan
Olin
Rose-Hulman
Carnegie-Mellon
Case-Western
Notre Dame
Rice
Stevens

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page