Another - Help Me Calculate my GPA... (?)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Another - Help Me Calculate my GPA... (?)
By Justplayin104 (Justplayin104) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 07:45 pm: Edit

Ok... I'm not sure how many people have a situation like mine. Could you figure this on a 4.0 scale?? -> btw, the gpa's have odd numbers, like 4.909 b/c of a different combination of standard and honors classes each semester, like Driver's Ed.

--GPA scale (A): Standard=4.0, Honors=5.0, AP=6.0

Freshman Year (Cumulative Yearly)
>>> 4.250/4.333
(2 Honors classes, 4 Standard b/c I was kicked out of the honors program after middle school)

Sophomore Year (Cumulative Yearly)
>>> 4.909/4.909

Junior Year
>>>> 4.6/5.2

HS Cumulative (3 yrs) 4.576/4.8
*But this is where I get confused. Our school determines cumulative GPA by taking the average of the two semesters rather than the yearly averages (this is b/c of the competitive nature of the school. Too many people avg. straight A's to base rankings on that yearly averages).
But everybody says colleges look at yearly averages and not semesters. My junior year, my YEARLY average GPA was a 4.8/5.2, but the way my school does it, the 4.4 (1st sem) and 4.8 (2nd sem) average out to a 4.6 cumulative GPA and not the 4.8 that the yearly grades give me. Will colleges see this? Do they care? (BTW, I've only averaged 3 B's for yearly averages throughout HS, but more if you look at the semesters). The problem is colleges and my high school look at the same grades 2 different ways...anyways, can you guys figure my GPA on a 4.0 scale, the one colleges use??

By Spookysculder (Spookysculder) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 08:01 pm: Edit

my school is very similar to yours and im also confused about what my GPA is on a 4.0 scale...i dont feel like typing all the numbers out, though, so good luck, i figure ill just let guidance do it for me...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page