Out of state tution

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Out of state tution
By Sidmathur (Sidmathur) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 07:44 pm: Edit

I was wondering, if you go to an out of state school, do u have to pay out of state tuition for all 4 years or only the 1st or 2nd year (depending on years u need to become a resident of that state)

By Quarky (Quarky) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 08:18 pm: Edit

I am not sure at all, but what I heard (which may or may not be true) is that when u reside in a state for educational purposes (college), that does NOT grant u residenship in that state... so i guess u'd pay OOS tuition for all 4 yrs. However, I must warn you once more -- I am not positive.

By Sidmathur (Sidmathur) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 09:28 pm: Edit

thanks for responding.

Does anyone else know for sure?

By Drusba (Drusba) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 10:08 pm: Edit

Residency rules vary from state to state but as a general rule everywhere your time going to college in a state does not establish residency for tuition.

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 10:51 pm: Edit

What if your parents buy you a condo and you stay the summers? and you can claim you're there for other reasons then just school.

By Sidmathur (Sidmathur) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 01:38 am: Edit

well, the reason I was asking is because i've lived in North Carolina for 9 years and I recently moved to Maryland and will be attending my senior year here but it has always been a dream of mine to attend unc and we still have the nc address and will have it for the early action deadline so im going to try to apply early action and claim residency there but even if I do, i'm not sure if i'll have to pay out of state the next 3 years but if I do then it looks like I wont be attending and my life will be over.

By Finalnight (Finalnight) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

I am in the SAME boat as you, I used to live in and was born in IL but moved to MN a few years ago due to dad's job transfer, but my dream school is U of Illinois-Urbana, I am thinking of just saying that I lived at my bro's place for the summer (he lives in chicago). Any advice?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page