Three Pages of ECs?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Three Pages of ECs?
By Delirious (Delirious) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 04:12 pm: Edit

There's simply not enough room for them on my college apps. Is 3 pages too much though?

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 04:16 pm: Edit

yes three pages is too much. I am sure some things can be combined and others can be left off

By Delirious (Delirious) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 04:35 pm: Edit

How about 2 pages? I don't want to leave anything off, since most of them are pretty big.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Yes. Too much.

By Girlinbraids (Girlinbraids) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 07:09 pm: Edit

I went to an information meeting at Yale and the admissions officer there said long lists of EC's are definitely a turn-off. Try to combine them if you can, or incorporate one or two into an essay instead of putting them on the list. If you want help paring down your list, post it here. I'm sure people will have suggestions for you.

By Jadephoenix1378 (Jadephoenix1378) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 07:18 pm: Edit

What about one and a half pages for a resume? I'm using a pretty big font (12). Thanks.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 08:26 pm: Edit

erghhhhhh mines 3 pages but its because i had trouble formatting it to the way they wanted it.

instead of listing stuff in one horizontal line, i did it vertically. so like

**Symphony Orchestra
-principle second violinist
-4 hours/week 36 weeks/year
-grades 9-12
-Selected to play at State Convention

or something. is that bad??? I tried clumping it all together and it was like 1-2 pages but it looked really messy and you could hardly read it.

By Serene (Serene) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 08:30 pm: Edit

instead of -grades 9-12, write "Symphony Orchestra (9-12)" =)

and you can probably put "principal 2nd violinist, selected to play at state convention" on the same line too
unless these two events happened at different times... then you'd do

- principal second violinist (10-12) (i'm making up numbers)
- played at state convention (11-12)

but definitely stick w/ the bullet format. I can't tell you how annoying it is reading posts on this forum that list the ECs horizontally! (actually, I'd just ignore those posts. =P)

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 08:57 pm: Edit

You don't understand. When you submit that many pages of ECs, it confuses everyone, and your entire position is lost. For example, most applications ask you to list ECs from most important to least important. If you have 1.5-3 pages, they aren't even going to remember what your most important ECs are by the time they get to the bottom of the list! So be concise, and be judgmental when deciding what to put.

By Serene (Serene) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Another suggestion is... if you're really strong in one area, give it its own section. Like on my resume I have "Math Awards" and "Other Awards" to emphasize my math accomplishments =)

By Reeses (Reeses) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

oh, sections are a good idea...is a chart a good idea? I think it makes it a lot neater. I added a column for activity, grade, hours per week, weeks per year, and awards/positions/description (pretty much like on the common application but with a more detailed discription)

how much detail should we put on? Should we simply state, participated in fundraisers or baked for bake sale, cleaned up after sales, washed cars at car wash, designed posters?

By Serene (Serene) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 09:20 pm: Edit

Just "participated in fundraisers"... i don't think details like "cleaning up" will impress the adcom =)

By Delirious (Delirious) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 10:31 pm: Edit

The thing is that I don't really have a ranking for my ECs, so I separated just them into Music, Community Service, Sports, and Clubs and Magazines on my attached sheet. How do I compare playing French horn in orchestra with coordinating a chess-teaching service project in Boston? It doesn't make sense to me.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

yeah i cant really rank my ECs so i categorized it. like half my EC's are music, and then the majority of the rest of them are math/science, and some random other ones (NHS, etc). i did my awards in the same order. then community service i did in reverse chronological order.

of course my entire 3 pages includes EVERYTHING from EC's (approx 1 page) to awards to community service to summer experiences. i think i will stil try to shorten it though so it doesnt look like padding, because i really didnt try to pad it.

By Innotof (Innotof) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 12:01 am: Edit

Here are some suggestions:

1) If you spend very little time on an activity and it isn't very important to you, don't list it on your application.

2) Try to condense multiple activities into one. For example if you play the piano and write songs, you could title your activity "Piano/Songwriting."

3) Could any of your activities be considered academic awards, honors, or programs (i.e., NHS)? If you did summer research or something like that, you could list it under the academic awards section of the application.

4) If one of the "grouped activities" (see #2) may seem vague to an adcom, yet you feel it's important, write your essay(s) about it.

By L1censet0k1ll (L1censet0k1ll) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 12:26 am: Edit

just post everything here and we'll do the cutting!!!

By Reeses (Reeses) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 03:52 pm: Edit

You offered, so I'll go ahead and post it: ok, it wont let me paste my chart here, but do you guys think it's important to put hours per week and weeks per year? i spent a lot of time on some things and less on others, and i want to put it into perspective for the admissions office. This is my list without the hours...please cut it down, take out info that isn't necessary, thanks a lot!

Cross-country 9, 10, 11, 12- Varsity letter, Captain 12, organized summer practices,
cheered on my teammates, chosen to design the t-shirt for the 2002 Bob Pratt Memorial Run, found sponsors, handed out t-shirts, and helped manage the meet, also improved my running skills and helped manage meets during times of my injury, aided in the creation, running, and updating of the School Running website, which includes practice and meet scheduling for cross-country and track, roster, records, team pictures, etc., collected money for fundraisers and captains’ and coaches’ gifts

Winter Track 9, 10, 11, 12- Varsity letter, Captain 12, All League Recognition Award, selected as an All Star in my sport, editor of School Running website

Spring Track 9, 10, 11, 12- Varsity letter, Captain 12, All League Recognition Award, selected as an All Star in my sport, editor of School Running website

Clarinet Lessons 9, 10, 11, 12- Accepted into the selective and advanced Symphonic Band, played in the Memorial Day and Homecoming Parades, played in all concerts, including a special school concert for senior citizens, participated in NYSSMA Festival, enhanced my abilities and improved my skills on the clarinet, attended weekly in-school lessons as well as lessons with a private teacher

Literary Club 11, 12- Published works in literary magazine, Penumbra, enhanced my writing skills, gained knowledge of editing and publishing

National Art Honor Society 10, 11, 12-Participated in Safe Halloween 10-12, participated in Special Olympics 10, painted a mural for K.P. Psychiatric Center 11, organized and participated in several fund-raising activities

French Teaching 11, 12 -Introduced 25 third graders to beginning French, developed several fun learning activities and created songs- 8 week program

National French Honor Society 11, 12 - Ran for vice president, baked and cleaned up after bake sales, participated in Café Day and Mardi Gras, participated in all fundraising activities, publicized events

National Math Honor Society 11, 12- Participated in fund raising, designed posters to promote tutoring program

Positive Edge Club 11, 12- Learned to teach kids how to say “no” to drugs and alcohol

National Honor Society 12- Ran for publicity officer, member of publicity committee, Helped at 2003 graduation ceremony, participated in High School and Freshman Campus Summer Orientation programs

Guitar Lessons 10, 11, 12- Enhanced my abilities and improved my skills on the guitar

Habitat for Humanity 9, 10- Participated in fundraising activities, helped in building a house on May 3rd 2002

Walk USA 10- Participated in race walk clinics and practices to better my skills in my track event

Southampton College Advanced Creative & Critical Composition 11- didn't go there yet, just program for a week this summer

VOLUNTEER WORK:

Special Olympics Day Volunteer 10- Brightened my special Olympian’s day by visiting attractions with him and encouraging him during his race

Safe Halloween 10, 11, 12- Assisted in decorating and planning activities after school at least once a week, designed my own costume, provided safe and fun activities for local children

Volunteer Listener at Library Summer Program- 9, 10, 11- Questioned and listened to children explain their favorite stories, encouraged the love of reading for numerous children

Volunteer Counselor & Counselor at Camp Wiyaka in association with Athol, Mass. YMCA- 10, 11- Responsible for a group of seven children at an overnight camp for four weeks, created and led several activities and kept a constant positive attitude, suggested new activities, led two all-day canoe trips down the Connecticut River with one other counselor, led a hike up Mt. Monadnock, received training in first-aid, C.P.R. and life guarding, taught children responsibility, respect, and acceptance of others, established, developed, edited, and wrote articles for the Camp Wiyaka weekly newsletter, organized and updated the Camp Wiyaka YMCA website (I was paid only the second year, what do I write for that?)

Service & Leadership Program at Camp Wiyaka-9- Learned responsibility, patience, and how to take care of and provide safe and fun activities for children

Camp counselor at Robert K. Sweeny Summer Fun Days Camp for children with diabetes - (year before 9th grade, which would be 8, but I'm just writing years on the application)- Worked closely with several small children and supervised their activities and insulin shots, played sports, made crafts, and created new games, also learned a great deal about diabetes

What should I write for summer things, grade before or grade after? or just the year?

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Cross-country (9-12)
- Varsity letter
- Captain (12)
- responsible for practices, website updates, fundraisers

(the "cheered on my teammates" and similar things are trivial.)

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 04:07 pm: Edit

is there a big difference between winter and spring track?

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 04:09 pm: Edit

Clarinet (9-12)
- advanced Symphonic Band (grade?)
- lessons with a private teacher (you can include how many hours a week)

Don't include anything like "improved my _______ skills", that's implied. Trust the intelligence of adcoms, that they know you'd learn something if you take classes.

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 04:13 pm: Edit

argh....

If you've done something within a Society as community services... List it either under the society or under Community Services, but don't list it twice!

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 04:16 pm: Edit

And don't give so much details for each activity. Example:

National Honor Society 12- Ran for publicity officer, member of publicity committee, Helped at 2003 graduation ceremony, participated in High School and Freshman Campus Summer Orientation programs

I would only write

National Honors Society (12)
- Publicity committee

because first, no one cares if you run for an office but don't make it (ANYONE can run...), and second, it is implied that you'd perform services within NHS. You don't need to tell the adcoms exactly what you did.

You only give a detail when it's SIGNIFICANT. Not if it's something any member can do and is expected to do.

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 04:19 pm: Edit

For summer things, yes the year. Like... "XYZ Camp, Summer 2002"

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 04:22 pm: Edit

I think I'll stop the editing here. With the above examples, you should have a better idea of what a resume should and should not include.

Giving too many details will put you at the risk of being seen as someone who uses trivial things to pad his resume. And you wouldn't want that.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 05:00 pm: Edit

wow Reeses that is REALLY long. i agree with Serene. all that detail isnt necessary. my EC list is formatted the same way Serene suggested for you and thats really all the info you need. any special stuff you can list, but not an outline of everything you did for the club. it will look like padding. you do have a great list of EC's!

By Reeses (Reeses) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 07:44 pm: Edit

thanks, that was very helpful. i corrected it on another post.

By Delirious (Delirious) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 10:42 pm: Edit

that brings me to another question. If some of the clubs that I do are a bit vague and you would have no idea about what the club is about if I didn't explain, should I offer an explanation? Otherwise, it just feels like a bunch of names strung together.

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 11:16 pm: Edit

delirious: yeah. i would do something like (this is from my own resume)

NAU Math Day (a team math competition)

something short like that and right to the point.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 01:37 am: Edit

Reeses, if no one does it by then...I'll shorten the list for you tomorrow.

By Reeses (Reeses) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 04:05 pm: Edit

o71394658- I posted it on another post, but I'll put it here since you didnt see it, I'm a little concerned about the admin office understanding what I did in each activity- I know certain things I have done, but I didn't write them b/c I don't want it to sound padded...but I don't want them thinking I'm an inactive member.

In my math and french honor society, we get inducted in 10th grade but only go to a few end of the year meetings, should I write 10-12 next to them or 11-12 as I have now?

Also, should I expand on my camp trips? I really led a lot of things, like 20 kids up a mountain with one other girl, and that was pretty tough.

Should I put number of hours per week next to my sports teams and clubs? and would that include work i do at home?

*Athletics*
Cross-country (9-12)
- Varsity letter
- Captain (12)
- Organized summer practices
- Responsible for practices, website updates, fundraisers
- Designed 2002 Bob Pratt Memorial Run T-shirt

Winter Track (9-12)
- Varsity letter
- All League
- Captain (12)
- Responsible for practices and website updates

Spring Track (9-12)
- Varsity letter
- All League
- Captain (12)
- Responsible for practices and website updates

Walk USA (10)
- Race walk clinics and practices

*Music*
Clarinet (9-12)
- Advanced Symphonic Band (11-12)
- Lessons with private teacher (7-14 hours practice per week)

Guitar (10-12)
- Lessons with private teacher (1-2 hours practice per week)

*Clubs*
Literary Club (11-12)
- Penumbra, published works in literary magazine
- Wrote minimum of a page a day
- Editor (12)

National French Honor Society (11-12)
- Elementary teaching (8 week program) (11, 12)
- Ran for Vice President (12)

National Art Honor Society (10-12)
- Responsible for fundraisers

National Math Honor Society (11-12)
- Publicity committee

National Honor Society (12)
- Publicity committee

Positive Edge (11-12)
- Middle school teaching (say “no” to drugs and alcohol)

Habitat for Humanity (9-10)
- Built house May 3rd 2002

*Summer Programs*
Southampton College Advanced Creative & Critical Composition (Summer 2003)

*Community Service*
Safe Halloween (10-12)

Special Olympics (May 5th 2002)

Volunteer Counselor at Camp Wiyaka in association with Athol, Mass. YMCA (Summer 2002)
- Four weeks (96 hours per week)
- Trained in first aid, CPR, and life guarding
- Led 15 children on three canoe trips down Connecticut River (with one other counselor)

Service & Leadership Program at Camp Wiyaka (Summer 2001)
- Two week program (96 hours per week)

Volunteer Listener at Smithtown Library Summer reading program
- Summer 2003 (Three weeks, 4-6 hours per week)
- Summer 2002 (Three weeks, 4-6 hours per week)
- Summer 2001 (Five weeks, 4-6 hours per week)

Volunteer counselor at Robert K. Sweeny Summer Fun Days Camp for children with diabetes (Summer 2000)
- One week program (32 hours service)

*Work Experience*
Counselor Camp Wiyaka in association with Athol, Mass. YMCA (Summer 2003)
- Four weeks (96 hours per week)
- Trained in first aid, CPR, and life guarding
- Led canoe trips on Connecticut River
- Led hikes up Mt. Monadnock
- Created and edited Camp Wiyaka YMCA weekly newsletter
- Responsible for updates to Camp Wiyaka YMCA website

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 05:27 pm: Edit

Hmmm...you do have a lot of activities. You can definitely fit it all on one page though:

Varsity Cross-country (9-12)
-Captain (12)
-Bob Pratt Memorial T-Shirt Design

Winter/Spring Track (9-12) (you should put the event(s) you do here)
-Captain (12)

Walk USA (10)
- Race walk clinics and practices

Literary Club (9-12)
-Editor(12)

National French Honor Society (11-12)
- Elementary teaching (8 week program) (11, 12)

National Art Honor Society (10-12) (Fundraiser Supervisor)

National Math Honor Society (11-12) (Publicity committee)

National Honor Society (12) (Publicity Committee)

Positive Edge (11-12) (Drug Awareness for Middle School Students)

Habitat for Humanity (9-10)

*Music*
Clarinet (9-12)
- Advanced Symphonic Band (11-12)

Private Guitar/Clarinet Lessons (8-16 hrs./week)

Southampton College Advanced Creative & Critical Composition (Summer 2003)

*Community Service*
Safe Halloween (10-12)(Explain what it actually is here)

Special Olympics (May 5th 2002)

Volunteer Counselor/Service and Leadership Program at Camp Wiyaka in association with Athol, Mass. YMCA (Summer 2001-2002) (96 hours per week in 4 week program)
-Trained in first aid, CPR, and life guarding (If you received actual certifications, you can put this. If not, don't bother putting this.
- Creator and editor of newsletter and camp website

Volunteer Listener at Smithtown Library Summer reading program (Summer 2001-2003) (hrs/week here)

Volunteer counselor at Robert K. Sweeny Summer Fun Days Camp for children with diabetes (Summer 2000) (32 hours service)

I cut out a lot of extraneous stuff here. I would probably cut out more, but I don't know you that well...so I don't know what you're committed to. All this would definitely fit on 1 page in MS Word.

By Congresssenator (Congresssenator) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 05:35 pm: Edit

What if you have a long list of debate awards? Should those be prioritized as well?

By Reeses (Reeses) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 12:55 am: Edit

why cut so much?? i thought it was good at 1 and a half pages, its pretty spaced out and easy to read...dont i need to explain what i do?? i really did spend a lot of time with all of my activities

By Madrigal (Madrigal) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Use columns. They are helpful in shortening bulleted lists, and they still look good.

By Reeses (Reeses) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 02:38 pm: Edit

thank you. good idea

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page