UCSD

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: UCSD
By Roxychick776 (Roxychick776) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 12:14 am: Edit

how hard is it to get into the university of california-san diego? there are so many kids at my school going there next year that are really brilliant. so is it a really tough school to get into then?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 12:26 am: Edit

Look at the archives back from March/April. It was scary. There were 1550 SAT I's with high GPA's getting rejected. (There were also lower SAT's/GPA's being accepted.) Don't flip out but do treat your application to UCSD with great respect...don't blow anything off.

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 12:39 am: Edit

My friend was rejected with a 1350, but my other friend was accepted with a 1290.

By Brown_Man (Brown_Man) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 03:08 am: Edit

im sorry, but were they both californians?

By Highschoolda (Highschoolda) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 03:58 am: Edit

They got second most application after UCLA. Thats tells u something. The acceptance is pretty random and they check all ur stuff.

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Yes, Californians.

By Sac (Sac) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 01:40 pm: Edit

Did the students with high SAT I scores who got rejected also have high SAT IIs? I understand the UCs put much more weight on SAT IIs than SAT Is now. At UCSD, also, don't you apply to an individual college? Anybody notice any patterns as to who got accepted or rejected from the different colleges?

By Nealyac (Nealyac) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 02:40 pm: Edit

i want to apply to UCSD but how do I request an appliation?

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 03:58 pm: Edit

My friend was rejected with a 1350, but my other friend was accepted with a 1290.

The first one listed SirMoreau as a reference.

Silly joke but I could not resist :)

By Blushingclover (Blushingclover) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 05:22 pm: Edit

It just all depends honestly. But put don't blow off the essay ... it's really important and could be the difference between rejection and admission. Even still, the process is pretty random.

One of my friends got in with an 1100 and mediocre SAT II scores and a 26 ranking. My other friend, however, was rejected (not even waitlisted) with a 1400+ SAT score, 34 ACT, and a number 10 ranking.

So yeah ... best of luck!!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

For an application and information about applying to any UC, go to www.ucop.edu

By Greenmoo04 (Greenmoo04) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 02:38 am: Edit

yeah, that depends. my sis got in with a 3.9 and 1130!! (when we toured the school, they scared us by saying the average was 1400+ and 4.2) oh, and im not sure that UC waitlists....

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 03:13 am: Edit

UC does waitlist.

By Crackcorn (Crackcorn) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 03:15 pm: Edit

I got in with a 1350 SAT I, 730 Math IC, 730 Writing, 660 Chem. 3.9 weighted GPA.

I also got into UCLA, but was rejected by Berkeley.

I chose to attend UCSD over UCLA, Johns Hopkins, Cal Poly SLO and USC.

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 03:37 pm: Edit

those 1500 brilliant people...gee...
you know perhaps it's that whole 'they won't come anyway, so why accept them?' mentality. Isn't there some statistic that shows how many acceptances given by a college are actually taken up by students which reflects the prestige of the institution?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 03:56 pm: Edit

"Yield" is the term you're looking for, I believe.

I think the notion that colleges reject students they think will ultimately reject them is largely an urban myth...not say that it *never* happens.

But the UC's do NOT do that.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page