Better to apply online? and a few other questions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Better to apply online? and a few other questions
By Reeses (Reeses) on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 07:17 pm: Edit

If anyone knows where I can find any of these answers, please tell me a book or website, or just answer them here, thanks.

Is it better to apply online or by mail? I am filling out an online application, and all of my ec's, communit service, awards, etc. do not fit in the boxes. On the spot that it asks for positions, I have hardly any room to write it, but when I preview it in acrobat there is so much room...but it won't let me use it! It's really frustrating, so would it be better to write it a little sloppier by hand and try to squeeze everything in there?

Do read our attached sheets? I have so many things I want to describe about what I did in each of my activities, but they allow no more than 50 lines, and it won't let me insert the chart I made...this is another reason I may want to just mail it instead.

Can I put some of my volunteer work under work experience even though I wasn't getting paid? There is absolutely no room under my ec's, but volunteering is really important to me. I have almost 700 hours.

And if I put it under work experience, there is still no room for all of it, but I did the same 3 things every year, but only during the summer...so how do I write that? There is no where to put it. It just says month/year to month/year...and I only did it for about 2 months each year...so confused.

I'm also only allowed to write 5 awards, how do I chose which are the most important? Also, there is practically no space to describe them, big problem...how do will they even know what it is?

On that *optional* part, should I write down that I'm caucasian or will this lower my chance of admission?

And am I allowed to write possible majors and check undecided as well? Does it look bad to write like 5 possible majors??

Where it says "college counselor" is that for the guidance counselor's info or someone private that some people hire?

By Serene (Serene) on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 08:06 pm: Edit

Do it on paper. Use attached sheets. Don't write too much about each activity (unless for essays). Most details you give should be like "Key Club, President (12), Organized book drive(12)"

Why'd you want to put volunteer work under work experience? Usually colleges would also ask you how much you got paid.

Race doesn't matter too much. Your lastname would probably give it away anyway.

It's fine to be undecided. You can put down general area of interest w/o giving the specific details... (Like economics and political science would both go under "Social studies" or something like that).

Guidance counselor. Some counselors work specifically on college stuff (such is the case in my school).

By Reeses (Reeses) on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 08:09 pm: Edit

where do I attach the sheets and the essay? should I just put stick them in the back of the application book? staple them? also, is there any way to type it but mail it in so it looks neater?

By Serene (Serene) on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

Ok... I'm not sure which application you're talking about... but usually you'd have to tear pages out of the application book -- you don't mail the entire book. Staple only each item (like, if your resume is longer than 1 page, then staple that. I think I'm getting too meticulous hehe).. but don't staple the entire packet -- the adcom will tear them apart anyway. My suggestion is to use a paperclip to clip everything together in the end.

"is there any way to type it" -- what's the "it" you're referring to?

By Reeses (Reeses) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 02:34 pm: Edit

i meant "it" as type a chart, but i've decided to mail it anyway...will they get mad if i write smaller and try to squeeze some info in along the edge? maybe its too sloppy...

By Reeses (Reeses) on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 02:35 pm: Edit

oh, i also meant is there any way to type the thing on the computer my own font size and spaces and mail it in

By Reeses (Reeses) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 03:54 pm: Edit

bump

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 04:01 pm: Edit

I wouldn't recommend that. It'd make it easier for college people to find where everything is if you'd just use their format.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page