Applying Early Action to a rolling admissions school

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Applying Early Action to a rolling admissions school
By Shannon935 (Shannon935) on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Several of the schools I want to apply to operate on a rolling admission system (with the deadline being either in March or May). These schools also have early action programs, the deadline of each being December 1. I'm going to be a high school senior this fall looking to apply for the 2004-2005 school year. When would be a good time to apply under Early Action and technically (since it *is* rolling admission), how early could I apply and still be seriously considered?

By Drusba (Drusba) on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 07:11 pm: Edit

You should check each college's site to determine when they start taking applications, but generally this:

1. If a school has rolling admissions, early action is generally of little importance because with rolling admissions you find out whether you are admitted soon after you apply; in other words, as fast as you would with EA. In fact, most schools that have rolling admissions do not have EA, although they may have Early Decision(where you agree to attend if accepted).

2. For schools that have rolling admissions, it is generally advisable to apply as early as you are allowed because (a) those who apply early will have an advantage in admissions over those who apply late, (b) qualifying for scholarships very often requires applying early, and (c) some schools determine housing preferences based on the order students apply for admission. Most schools that have rolling admissions start taking applications in September or October, but some have even started taking them now for Fall 2004, and thus the importance of checking with the particular schools to which you intend to apply.

By Boycrazychick04 (Boycrazychick04) on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 03:04 pm: Edit

but if you dont have your SAT scores yet, do they hold on to the application until they recieve them??

By Drusba (Drusba) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Generally, when you apply to schools they open a file under your social security number and name. When that file is deemed complete, they review it for admission purposes. Anything that comes in with your name and SSN goes into the file until it is complete. Thus, test scores can be submitted after initial apllication.

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 03:51 pm: Edit

so i guess they'll send u a decision as soon as your scores arrive.

By Solastsummer (Solastsummer) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 11:15 am: Edit

If I apply rolling in late September, when will I hear?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page