Mount St. Mary's in MD and Early Action

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Mount St. Mary's in MD and Early Action
By Shannon935 (Shannon935) on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 03:41 pm: Edit

Hi, I really want to apply to a private LAC in Emmitsburg, Maryland called Mount St. Mary's. I believe it was a Tier I or II in U.S. News Report, so some of you may be familiar with it. :-) The problem is, I keep hearing VERY varied reports on admissions and what it takes to get in. MSM received a Princeton Review admissions selectivity rating of 69, and differing websites/college books say it admits anywhere from 78-88% of applicants. Average SAT is 1050 or so, average GPA is 3.0. I have no idea as to whether there is a required minimum GPA/SAT or not; as far as I know, you need only graduate, take your SAT/ACT, and complete a bare minimum of college prep courses.

They also have an early action program, in which "candidates with academic achievement and a strong interest in the Mount" may apply. Usually the admission rate with this is about the same as regular admissions, although sometimes it has jumped as high as 93%. It is also possible for an EA candidate's admission decision to be deferred so that the transcript can be further updated during senior year. MSM works on a rolling admission deadline.

I've just finished with my junior year - I have a 3.0 GPA (grades went WAY up this year) and have a 1250 SAT (720 verbal, 550 math). I plan on taking an SAT II or two, and a college course at the local community college next year. I've had a job since sophomore year, and have been involved with various ECs/volunteer work every year. A campus interview and essay aren't required - merely recommended - but I'm going to do both in order to help my chances. Do you think I have a decent chance of getting in, and is Early Action the way to go for me? Thanks. :-)

By Shannon935 (Shannon935) on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 04:06 pm: Edit

BTW...this is my course selection (I switched schools junior year and they don't weigh courses. Everyone takes the same thing.):

Freshman:
Advanced English
Advanced Spanish I
Advanced World History
CP Physical Science
CP Algebra I
CP Religion
Microsoft Works (a computer class, not weighted)

Sophomore:
Advanced Spanish II
CP American Literature
CP U.S. History I
CP Biology
CP Religion
CP Geometry
Microsoft PowerPoint/Word (like Microsoft Works, not weighted)

Junior:
English 11
Geometry
Anatomy and Physiology
American Government
World Geography
Physical Education
Computer Networking

Senior:
English 12
Native American Literature/English Creative Writing (I really can't decide which to take)
Chemistry
American History
Physical Education
Hebrew I
Public Speaking/Career Exploration

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 04:34 pm: Edit

it's always best to apply EA since the college knows that you really want to go there. I am applying EA to Hartwick College.

you probably have an excellent chance of getting accepted. But make sure that this college is the one for you.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 02:17 am: Edit

To me, it sounds like you will have a very good shot, especially if you apply EA and do a campus visit. If you are still concerned about your chances, you can try writing a very polite email to admissions saying you are VERY interested in the school but (as you said above) have found conflicting information about their admitted students profile in the college guidebooks and you want to make sure that MSM is going to be a fit for you. Then, ask if they can send you the admissions statistics from the entering class this fall: how many applied, how many were accepted, what their SAT range was, etc. The nice thing about EA is that you will know very quickly whether they've accepted you and still have time to apply to other schools if you need to --- but I think in your case, you should be fine.

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 09:38 am: Edit

A nice little college, in a scenic part of the state (though somewhat isolated), and a surprisingly good basketball team.

Not all that selective, so you shouldn't have much trouble being accepted EA. Just make extra-sure it's your top choice. Do an overnight visit this Fall if they offer it.

By Shannon935 (Shannon935) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Thanks everyone. :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page