Ed duke or others

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Ed duke or others
By Luv (Luv) on Friday, July 04, 2003 - 04:25 am: Edit

hi i am new here ,an international student,and wanna study biomedical engineering in duke,
sat i 1430
satii math iic 800 phy 780 chem 780
gpa 4.0
top 5% around 210 students
have working experience in tv station imformation company and other experience in football fans club vice president
do i have chance in duke if i ed,or try others
need f.a.btw

By Perfection101 (Perfection101) on Friday, July 04, 2003 - 06:51 pm: Edit

You are definitely within range, but I would try some other prestigious colleges that have equally, if not better engineering programs like northwestern, cornell, and MIT.

By Luv (Luv) on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 01:56 am: Edit

oh i think that we are not in the same pool ,i am a international student,surely northwestern and cornell have nice engineering programe,but the scholarship they offer to inte'l student is poor,and f.a.is important to me.thank you for you reply

By Haiyaa (Haiyaa) on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 04:39 am: Edit

Raise the SAT I score. Duke really likes high SAT scores. Like, 1500+.

G'luck, and I hope to see you at Duke next year! :)

By Wobudong (Wobudong) on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 11:36 pm: Edit

Your SAT II's are on track for Duke engineering. The average SAT I for Duke engineering is north of 1500, so I would retake the SAT I if I were you. At Duke the engineering faculty has a great deal of influence on admissions to the college of engineering; and they lean heavily toward objective criteria, i.e., standardized tests. Ignore the advice about other engineering schools if biomedical is your goal. Duke is currently rated #2 in biomedical engineering is likely to be #1 within the next few years due to a huge financial commitment and new facilities that will be shared by engineering and the Duke Medical Center. The other bioengineering programs that are on the rise are at Georgia Tech (in cooperation with Emory Medical) and Rice, which has combined programs with Baylor Medical School and is across the street from Texas Medical Center, the largest medical complex in the world.

By Luv (Luv) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 02:43 am: Edit

thank you for your info
yah i will retake sati in oct this year
to wobudong,should i keeping touch with the faculty of engineering of biomedical?

By Wobudong (Wobudong) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Luv: It certainly will not hurt to let them know of your interest. The engineering faculty has considerable input into admissions to the College of Engineering, a fact that displeases some on the adcom for the remaining students (referred to by the engineers as the college of arts and crafts.) Though the engineering faculty tend to rely on objective criteria (hence the very high SAT average) knowing your name might be a good tie breaker. Good luck on the SAT.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page