When To apply

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: When To apply
By Cycloptic_Eye (Cycloptic_Eye) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 03:46 pm: Edit

I'm a Canadian... and uh well us Canucks can apply to Canadian universities until say mid January of our final year. Since my guidance counselor knows nothing... maybe you guys can help. I want to go to the States, and well I don't know when it is best to apply. Also, it would be very helpful if you guys could tell me the latest I could apply for.

Thanks A Lot!!!

P.S I figure it may depend on the university, or college that I would apply to, but just roughly when's a good time?

By Mike (Mike) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 03:55 pm: Edit

Jan 1 and Feb 1 are the RD dates where I am looking. ED is often Oct 1 or Dec 1 as are EA.

By the way do you know anything about Simon Fraser or U of Victoria? Guidence at my school stops at the state line

By Cycloptic_Eye (Cycloptic_Eye) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 04:21 pm: Edit

BC universities... hmmm, Nope I only know about Ontario ones. But I heard Fraser is a good University. Go to www.sfu.ca. I haven't heard of U of Victoria that much. I assume Simon Fraser is better. Go to "http://www.macleans.ca/universities/index.jsp;jsessionid=DMIHOEFMONDJ ", and it ranks Canadian universities. Sorry I'm not that much help... oh and by the way what do those abbreivations stand for? (RD, ED)

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 04:28 pm: Edit

RD is regular decision
ED is early decision (binding admissions which means that's the only college you're applying early to and you're confident you are going there once admitted)

By Bsarnold (Bsarnold) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 04:41 pm: Edit

then what is EA?

By Drusba (Drusba) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 06:10 pm: Edit

EA is Early Admission -- you can learn of whether you are admitted early and it is non-binding.

As to the original question. Some colleges have actually started to take applications for the Fall 2004 already. It is usually wise to apply early to any college -- most start taking applications in September or October (check with each school). Reasons: (a) many schools have rolling admissions (decisions are sent as applications are recieved) and those who apply early have an advantage over those who wait to the last minute; (b) early applications are often needed to qualify for any merit scholarships at many schools; (c) some schools use time of applying for admission to determine preferences for housing. If I were you I would check with the schools you intend to apply to (they give application dates on-line) and then apply as soon as the school allows. Schools end dates for applying also very From December 31 to mid-January to mid-February and some even take applications into June.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page