How do you type on a paper application?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: How do you type on a paper application?
By Delirious (Delirious) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 03:46 pm: Edit

Do you just cut out and paste from computer paper? I'm confused.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Typewriter.

By Sluggbugg (Sluggbugg) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Delirious, if you have a typewriter, and you are good at making corrections with a correction ribbon (which should be on your typewriter), go ahead and type it, if you feel comfortable doing that. If you don't have a correction ribbon, get some WhiteOut or a pkg of correction paper and make your corrections that way. Unless you are skilled at using WhiteOut or correction paper (it can get REAL messy), I would recommend neatly printing with a black, non-smeary pen. Most h/s students these days don't have a lot of experience using a typewriter, and I would only recommend it if you are experienced at making corrections. You don't want to come off an as amateur who took the less practical route to impress the adcom.

If you don't have a typewriter, handprint neatly in black ink (black is considered more professional than blue, and colored ink doesn't copy as well), or write "See Attached Response" in each section. Then, write out your responses on the computer, designating each section as they are designated on the app. Write the heading of each section in bold upper & lower case. Put your name, SS#, Fall 2003 (Name of the university), and date at the top. STAPLE your attached responses to the app:

JOHN SMITH, SS# 000-00-1111, Fall 2003 Harvard University, 1 October 2003

A. Explain how you will solve global warming in 100 words or less.
I will solve global warming by...

B. Explain how you will solve world hunger in 100 words or less.
I will solve world hunger by...

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 09:49 pm: Edit

Surprisingly, they still manufacture typewriters. IBM is the primary manufacturer, and they can run upwards of $1,200. The newer models have spell check, document storage, etc...

By L_Wonder (L_Wonder) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 10:40 pm: Edit

I scanned a couple of grad school applications and filled them out using a graphics program on my computer. I have a decent printer so there wasn't a big difference between the print and the original.

By Serene (Serene) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

I printed my answers off regular printer paper, cut and pasted onto the application sheet, then made xerox copies ^^

By Serene (Serene) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Another comment: I looked at this guy's application (done completely with a typewriter), I found it a bit annoying because it's hard to tell his answers from the application questions -- both machine fonts with about the same thickness. And formatting/alignment was especially hard for him on his EC section. So I would recommend handwrite the smaller sections (name, birthdate, etc...) and only use computer/typewriter when it comes to the essays.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 11:37 pm: Edit

Why don't you guys just apply online?

By Brd (Brd) on Friday, July 04, 2003 - 01:33 am: Edit

I typed all of my grad school applications (not everything can be submitted online) on an actual typewriter. The application font and typewriter strikes were not similar; I think it looked much better and was easier to read this way.

As an aside, the coolest thing I own is my grandmother's old Royal (has to be about 80 years old). Solid metal case with crystal side windows to see the mechanical action inside -- it must weigh 30 lbs.

By Serene (Serene) on Friday, July 04, 2003 - 03:12 am: Edit

07139:

quoting myself from "College Admission" board:

I personally did college applications almost entirely by hand. Simply because I can't trust my internet connection/computer if I wanted to apply online. Plus having the application physically in hands also makes it easier to work on -- like, you can go from page to page easily, no need to worry about saving, convenient to make copies, and easy to do the traditional cutting and pasting ^^ And of course, the benefit of always being able to send additional material along with the packet. =)

By Theasrhs (Theasrhs) on Friday, July 04, 2003 - 01:59 pm: Edit

You can still get an electronic Smith Corona for under $100 that has correction functions and weighs less than 5 lbs. My daughter used mine to type out her applications since she did not go with the common app.

Everyone should have this kind of back up for those unfillable forms with which one is confronted in any number of situations.

By Lefty (Lefty) on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 12:32 am: Edit

Every high school in America has a typewriter somewhere. Check with the secretaries in the main office and the Guidance Office. They always keep a good electric typewriter handy for some of the federal and state forms that still have to be typed.

It is a good idea to be on a first name basis with the Office staff and Guidance staff anyway. Become known to the support staff and they will let you use their typewriter any time you want it.

By Sluggbugg (Sluggbugg) on Saturday, July 05, 2003 - 12:08 pm: Edit

Handprint neatly in black ink, if you can't or don't want to apply online. When it comes to undergrad apps, beware of overslick packaging. However you can make it look neat & legible, do it.

What will count more is the content. What will help put any student over the top is confidence, backed up by strong leadership abillities. Adcoms are looking at the bigger picture, and whether an app is typed instead of handwritten doesn't matter, as long as it's a fast read.

40/50-Somethings love typed things! We think it makes things look more professional, and in the real world, it does. Gawd, we're anal about this stuff! Let's face it, though. College admissions are looking beyond what any of us can put out there as yet another marketing project. We are good at what we do...but, that is not what colllege adcoms want to see.

Students...focus on what's really important here. It's not about typing or handwriting. You passed that marker when you graduated from high school. You don't have to meet the subjective standards of a frustrated, h/s English teacher anymore, not in your college app, anyway. Adcoms are looking for a strong sense of who you are. Just get the message across, let yourself shine, and stop worrying about minutiae.

By Delirious (Delirious) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 10:37 pm: Edit

Hey is it possible to do the application (common) online in pdf form and then PRINT it?

By Reeses (Reeses) on Monday, July 07, 2003 - 10:59 pm: Edit

yes, answer that...also, is scanning and pasting the typed answers on, then printing it a good idea? are we allowed to send in a photocopy like that?

By Delirious (Delirious) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Someone have an answer?

By Congresssenator (Congresssenator) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 05:38 pm: Edit

Typewriters are awesome! I used a relatively old model at my library and it works fine after you get the hang of it. Any typewriter worth its carriage will have ways to microadjust your application for proper alignment. It definitely looks neat!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page