Majors and Ranking Colleges

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Majors and Ranking Colleges
By Clangpants1 (Clangpants1) on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Hi, I am confused as what major to choose. I am between biomedical engineering, biochemistry, and chemical engineering. First of all, could someone please explain to me what biomedical engineering actually is? Secondly, could someone tell me what schools are best in these fields from my list ( I need to narrow down my college list) :
Amherst
Dartmouth
Duke
Harvard
UPENN
Williams
Yale
Brown
Cornell
Georgetown
JHU
Northwestern
Tufts
BC
BU
Carnegie Mellon
Case Western Reserve
Colgate
RPI

Thanks for your help

By Serene (Serene) on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

If you don't know what biomedical engineering is, how could you want to major in it?!

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Case, Duke, and Johns Hopkins.

you need to narrow down that list BIG TIME. lol

By Bo435 (Bo435) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 12:45 am: Edit

brown, amherst, and dartmouth are probably not what you are looking for if you want to do engineering. If you want to do biomedical or bioengineering, I would strongly recommend Johns Hopkins, UC San Diego, UPENN, and Duke. They are all in the top ten, and I don't know what other schools are in top ten. If you want to do chemical, i suggest MIT and UC Berkeley.

By Ryanl (Ryanl) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 01:47 pm: Edit

brown, dartmouth, and amherst are good for whatever you want to study. futhermore, if you're thinking of grad school, the smaller the school the better.

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 02:19 pm: Edit

"Brown, Dartmouth, and Amherst are good for whatever you want to study." -- I could not disagree with that statement more. First of all, Amherst doesn't even have an Engineering program. Secondly, Brown and Dartmouth don't exactly have the best programs out there. Your best bet would be MIT, Berkeley, or Caltech if you can get into those schools.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 08:29 pm: Edit

JHU is the best school for biomedical engineering.

By Perfection101 (Perfection101) on Friday, July 04, 2003 - 06:36 pm: Edit

JHU, MIT, Cal Tech, and Northwestern are consistantly tops in chemical (organic) and (inorganic in the United States.

By Saejinbilly (Saejinbilly) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

Biomedical engineering is engineering in things like heart scanner/x-rays. Basically fixing medical technology

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page