Is Chemistry a popular major???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Is Chemistry a popular major???
By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 02:11 am: Edit

Hey, I was just wondering if Chemistry is a popular major or not. I'm sure it's popular at MIT (and every other science), but is it a popular major amongst other top schools (Ivies, Stanford, Georgetown, etc.)? What about Harvard, Yale, and Princeton? Thanks a lot!

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 02:15 am: Edit

As a major at those schools, it might not be overly popular. Keep in mind, however, that students will take chemistry classes for chemical, environmental, or biological engineering, pre-med classes, or in conjuction with a biology major. Also, it is not uncommon for future pre-meds to apply as a chemistry major and then switch out.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 09:40 am: Edit

Chemistry cannot be classified as a "popular" major at virtually any school other than science/tech schools. It is a major that many businesses wished there were more of. What typically happens at colleges is that freshman level chemistry classes will have huge numbers in them mainly because (a) it is a required sequence for numerous majors as mentioned above, and (b) there are quite a number actually thinking of majoring in chemistry and then change their thinking once they get a dose of college chemistry. By the time you reach junior level courses, you will have only the hard core chemistry majors and those courses will have few in number (usually under 25 and very often under 10 even at large universities). Check graduating classes of many major universities and you will find that such majors as Psychology, English, History, etc. will have hundreds graduating in each of those majors, and then less than 25 in chemistry.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 10:53 am: Edit

I think liberal arts colleges such as Maclester, Carleton, Swarthmore and Reed , probably have a larger percentage of graduates in the sciences, than large universities, don't know about Ivies, but a larger percentage of liberal arts
Reed for example had about 289 graduates with 17 majors in chemistry or biochem-molecular bio, chemistry-physics, this past June.
Of students that go on to recieve Ph.ds in Chem the top three schools percentage wise are Harvey Mudd, Caltech and Reed.

Out of my daughters high school class of 18 there are two that I know of majoring in chem, one at Maclester& one at Carleton. Of course several of them have parents who are professors in the sciences including chem, so they grew up more exposed to the wonders of chem, in fact one grandfather of a friend even won the Noble for chem a couple years ago.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page