Effects of early decision

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Effects of early decision
By Reeses (Reeses) on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 01:53 am: Edit

how much will early decision help? my friend said it's like adding 100 points to an SAT score, is this accurate? also, will if affect my financial aid?

By Reeses (Reeses) on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 06:06 pm: Edit

bump

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 07:17 pm: Edit

That is probably too much of a generalization but ED can help you get in schools that have relatively low acceptance rates (below 50%) if you are on the borderline of those usually admitted. Many schools will actually tell you it creates an advantage; some assert it does not (and if you believe that they will also sell you the Brooklyn Bridge). There has been expressed concern that a school may afterwards offer less aid to an ED than an RA because the ED is bound to attend. I have seen nothing that verifies that occurs.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 07:42 pm: Edit

There has been expressed concern that a school may afterwards offer less aid to an ED than an RA because the ED is bound to attend. I have seen nothing that verifies that occurs.

One thing to keep in mind however, is that if a school states that they will meet 100% of financial need, that is beyond your EFC, not what you feel you can pay.

To further explain what meeting need is, need can be met with any combination of grants, loans and workstudy.

If you applied regular decision to two school that were comparable in academic quality and in costs, that both agree to meet need, your packages could look very different.
One school might give you $10,000 in grants, $3000, in workstudy and $5000 in loans, and the other school might give the same numbers but the amount in grants and loans reversed.
The advantage in applying regular decision is that you can compare packages. There isn't anyway, you can compare when applying ED because you have already committed to attending, they don't have to woo you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page