OMG, making up ECs?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: OMG, making up ECs?
By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 02:28 am: Edit

Which colleges actually verify their applicant's ECs? I asked this chick in my English class a few days back what ECs she have, just to see where i stand since i have very little, and she said she has none, so she's going to make them all up! Is this a common occurance? If it is common, why don't colleges try to stop it? Which colleges actually check? She's international, so i bet they check most internationals anyways.

I know this girl aims REALLY high, so she'll probably apply to the Ivies as well as the top LACs and schools like MIT, Caltech, Stanford etc...

Hmmm, i'm not too close to her, so i can say... i hope she gets caught... muahahaha

By Corettev (Corettev) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 07:09 am: Edit

Yea I'd like to know how far they go to check all your claims such as ECs. Not that I'd fake mine, rather the opposite. I work really hard at mine and would be disappointed if someone just made similar stats up w/o getting caught.

By Wharton1986 (Wharton1986) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 08:18 am: Edit

tuannguyen.
i know for a fact that colleges find it almost impossible to verify any of the international students ecs.
theres simply no way.
i am international.my brother is currently gonna do his sophmore year at umich.
he fabricated alot on his applications.stuff like"organised a campaign to provide relief to the bhuj earthquake victims,and volunteer wormat all sorts of orphanges,blind schools,etc".

theres NO way they can verify that.unless they want another letter.
however you shouldnt go that extreme to say u were the natinoal swimming champion if u dont even know how to swim.who knows they might even give u a sports scholarship and expect u to swim for their college.
that would be an awkward situation now wouldnt it???.

By Johnnyd (Johnnyd) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 11:02 am: Edit

you should tell on that chick. people like that should be smacked.

By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 11:30 am: Edit

Nah, i'm not a tattle-tale... I'm just going to hope she gets caught at atleast a few schools... You know, just to injure her pride (if you've never met a girl with a huge ego, here's one for you)...

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 11:31 am: Edit

What a surprise !

By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 11:32 am: Edit

Plus, she's Canadian...

Wouldn't it be easier for top schools to check? Canada's got a lot of connections with USA... It shouldn't be too hard to check... right?

By Jje (Jje) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 12:56 pm: Edit

When my friend applied to Yale this year they called the guidance office to check that all his ec's were for real.

By Rmehney (Rmehney) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 01:31 pm: Edit

At my school you have to fill out this EC form every year when you do your scheduling to be kept on file. You parents also have to sign for validity of what is listed. I can see where some fabrication could come in to play, but I find it incredibly hard to believe that one could get away with listing things such as President of meaningful clubs within the school. When you have your counselor write your recommendation form usually they want to list your EC involvement to solidify the contribution you'll make at that particular university. Therefore, listing something astounding on your application and having your counselor leave it out may look a tad fishy.

By Reeses (Reeses) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 01:39 pm: Edit

if the guidance couselor has no way of knowing how many volunteer hours you put in, what clubs you were president of, or what you did than couldn't everyone just make stuff up? I worked really hard to do everything I did, and this really surprises me.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 01:53 pm: Edit

I hope these people get into these schools, spend 160,000 dollars, spend 4 years, get a degree with a double major, have their ivy league university discover their fabrication, AND HAVE THEIR DEGREES REVOKED. college is a means to an end. if fabrication is required to just enter the means, then that person has no values, valor, validity, and i despise that person with vehemelence. and, that person will never succeed: lying to get into college is one thing but if that person expects to lie their whole life, well, then, pooh on them. some people have real interests, real passions, real involvement, real morals, and real identities. fabricating for applications is essentially identity theft, just on a totally different level. its like taking over someone else's life without taking his/her name. //////~~~~\\\\\\

By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 01:55 pm: Edit

Not everything is routed through the guidence office... Like the community service, how are they going to check that? That's the big thing you know, these people can get away with this stuff.

I don't think they'll put president or whatever on their application, but they will make up for stuff they missed out on (community service stuff other people would have hundreds of hours of) by lying. Which is kinda unfair. And can't you just lie that you're part of an organization outside of school? If so, then how would they verify it then?

Why don't colleges have contact # of ECs as one of the requirements on the app.? That way they can verify it directly from the organizations.

By Reeses (Reeses) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 02:29 pm: Edit

they should have contact #s

I also wonder if I should write this: I ran for vice president of my favorite club, which I am very involved in, never miss a meeting, then this more popular guy, who rarely attends meetings, winds by only a few votes. I am still very active in the club and will continue to be active all year- could I just write down that I am vice president because I put so much time and effort into my campaign and into the fundraisers...what should I do? I really feel like my application needs more leadership, but I'd feel guilty lying...and that would be horrible if a college found out, could they ever find out?

By Nealp (Nealp) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 03:28 pm: Edit

don't lie. some of us actually do stuff with our spare time instead of running off to taco bell for lunch and a quick lunchtime romance.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 03:17 pm: Edit

I think the University of California's do random checks...

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 05:13 pm: Edit

the UC's are the only schools who do random checks. As to the "Why don't colleges have contact # of ECs as one of the requirements on the app.? " comment, use common sense. Some schools recieve over 30,000 applications.. do you really think they have enough time to verify every club or activity for every student is real? If you are going to fabricate, do it moderatly so nothing seems out of the norm and there is no way you can get caught... sad but true

By Noangel164 (Noangel164) on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 05:16 pm: Edit

what my school does is that it makes you sign like evry six months or so, a slip of paper saying that you are an active member of the group.

By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 06:29 pm: Edit

Well, i'm not expecting people to check them all. But when something does seem suspicious, atleast you can contact the organization directly. And atleast making up ECs would be more of a hassle, since now they actually have to find phone #s for them etc...

By Nealp (Nealp) on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

YES! scare factor. it would really reduce cheating. Rich father says to jock of a son, "son, you're not getting into college unless you start understanding the real world: you will have to fabricate on your college app." rich jock of a son varsity football, "i guess you're right daddy, i have to go to a good college" scare em with lots of beauracratic work - phone numbers, contact names, and possibly e-mail addresses. or, better yet, a universal form that is part of the common app and accepted by ALL schools. get the form signed by various persons just ONCE, get it copied and mail it off.

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 10:42 pm: Edit

I think you guys are underestimating just how little attention the admissions people pay to the endless lists of puffed up ECs on application. I think it's fair to say that they aren't impressed by much.

The people who get into a college on an EC hook are the ones who demonstrate a passion for an activity and can communicate it beyond a line listing on the application.

By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 04:57 pm: Edit

What if you wrote that you volunteered at a certain place, like a home for people with developmental disabilities, once a week. But really, youonly did it kind of randomly.. like, sometimes once a week, sometimes, once a..3 weeks.. etc. Would they call the organization? Oh, and by th way, since i'm writing, does anyone know whether it's worth it or not to put stuff like nomination for Youth Forum on Leadership (Law) or ..shoot, there was another one, like Junior Statesmen maybe? Also, what about thing swe know are scams but we dind't know at the time... ok, like for example, the International Poets Society is a scam. But I didnt' find that out till awhile after I submitted a couple of poems, that were published. It's sort of a scam, but it shows that I was interested and passionate enough about writing poetry sort of, no? something like that

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 05:00 pm: Edit

They're not going to call anyone. The college application process isn't that personal, as long as you volunteered *sometimes* you'll be fine.

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Making up an EC is one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard. It's just ridiculous. It shows absolutely no integrity, and it will come back and haunt you. If I get into a good college or HYP, I want it to be because I truely earned it; not because of some mumbo jumbo I made up the last minute.

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

unfortunately bullrider, not everyone thinks or is honest as you. The "American Mentality" is, it's not cheating unless you get caught which is pretty sad...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page