FOR PEOPLE GOING TO IVY READ.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: FOR PEOPLE GOING TO IVY READ.
By Njboe (Njboe) on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 10:39 pm: Edit

IF YOU GOT ACCEPTED TO IVY LEAGUE, CAN YOU TELL US WHAT YOU WROTE ABOUT IN YOUR ESSAY?

By Rhino (Rhino) on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

write about whatever you are passionate about. It works, and it is real.

By Cornellian07 (Cornellian07) on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 01:00 am: Edit

Which essay? Cornell makes you do 5 of them. Part of the reason the acceptance rate is higher than the rest of the ivies... because people don't want to bother with all the essays in Cornell's application, so end up not applying. Also because it's the biggest ivy.

By Sirmoreau (Sirmoreau) on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 01:16 am: Edit

NjBoe, if you can't think of a topic on your own, why are you even thinking of applying to an ivy? You could attempt throwing out some of your *own* ideas and see what people think..

By Sony (Sony) on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 01:17 am: Edit

I wrote about volunteering.

By Fender1 (Fender1) on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 01:27 am: Edit

I wrote about my passionate love for capital letters. Maybe you could use that same topic Nj.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 01:39 am: Edit

clockworkorange-and-pineapple juiceeeeee

By Almondjoy (Almondjoy) on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 06:14 pm: Edit

i have two things i am passiooante about: a not-so main stream sport and volunteering at a soup kitchen. which should i consider writing about bc i think i could write a good essay on both. but im leaning towartds the sport

By Andymcgav (Andymcgav) on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Almondjoy, I agree with the sport. No soupkitchen essay could be THAT moving :-)

By Unicorn (Unicorn) on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 07:54 am: Edit

don't do the sport. countless admin officers hav told me how they r sick of hearing about sports/scoring the winning goal/being captain etc. they will groan when they see ur essay.

the soupkitchen thing would be better. it's got potential (u said u could write a good essay) as its relatively original and personal.

my 2 cents...

By Dromedary (Dromedary) on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 11:43 am: Edit

Uh... why wouldn't a nontraditional sport be better essay material than probably the most common volunteering experience of them all, a soup kitchen?

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Quote:

countless admin officers hav told me how they r sick of...

Ha. Countless have told YOU? I find that extremely hard to believe.

By Soccerfrenzy (Soccerfrenzy) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Hello,

For Harvard, I wrote about my love of Van Gogh's Starry Night. I had learned about Van Gogh when I was 6 or 7 and that stayed with me until now. I will be taking my copy of Starry Night with me when I go in August.

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 08:19 pm: Edit

think writing about chess would be a good idea? how about like, your parents?

By Nealp (Nealp) on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 10:03 pm: Edit

i'm gonna write about my dad's sacrifice and how much it has taught me (he's lived 1500 miles far so i can finish ib and get my ib diploma at a kick a$$ ib school) thats a lot to write about, i think.

By Phishdave (Phishdave) on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 12:20 am: Edit

I don't know, I guess it's important to present to the admissions folk something about yourself, but all of the topics that everyone's presented seem kinda mundane. I'm sure you are all good writers and the essays were liked, but I'd recommend writing something a little weird. Don't force yourself to write an expository account. Write a poem, write stream of consciousness, just write in whatever idiom is your own. That's just my two cents.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 12:24 am: Edit

whatever you do, dont do something stupid like write it backwards so they have to read it from a mirror, write it in iambic pentameter, in red crayon, etc etc.

harvard admissions guy kept telling me how much he hated that. he said "the best essays i have ever read were on white normal paper, size 12 font, times new roman"

just dont try to get their attention THAT way

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page