Imperial College

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Imperial College
By Yahni (Yahni) on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 09:34 am: Edit

I am currently student at Stanford Engineering, and considering to do my postgraduate studies at Imperial College, London. Does anybody know about Imperial?

By Arealtexan (Arealtexan) on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 12:35 pm: Edit

It's a highly rated school, with a large number of overseas students. It occupies a comparative niche to MIT among UK universities, and its engineering programs are excellent. It suffers from the fact that Cambridge is considered to be better than it for sciences.

It's in a nice part of London, represented by the slightly creepy Rt Hon Michael Portillo MP in the Commons. But the students have a reputation for being nerdy workaholics. Obviously, not all 8,000+ students can be like this, but there is some truth in the rumour.

If you want to study there and go back to the US, that shouldn't be a problem. A chap I know who did his undergrad and postgrad in physics at Imperial is now working for NASA.

By Yahni (Yahni) on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Areal,

Thank a lot. You are answering all my qustions. But it is not well known in US. I mean most people do not know University of London, although it has very strong colleges/programs (LSE, UCL, Imperial). I do want to go to Europe to have an international career and I hope Imperial is one of these best places to go.

By Heartfang (Heartfang) on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

Yup it is! Although it is easier to get in to imperial than getting into stanford. umm.. this is just my point of view, i am going to be a senior and i am applying to universities in uk, us and canada. see, uk unis (with the exception of cambridge and oxford) are easier to get into , because they just focus on your grades, as long as your grades satisfy, then you are most probably in. however they offer scant, if any fin aid. us unis offer the most fin aid, and canada is cheap

By Arealtexan (Arealtexan) on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 06:36 am: Edit

The personal statement is also quite a decisive factor in university admissions in the UK, Heartfang, there just isn't this obsession with extra curricular activities that you see in the States.

Still, the statement "as long as your grades satisfy, then you are most probably in" is a massive exagerration.

By Yahni (Yahni) on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 11:18 am: Edit

Heart,

Thanks for your message, but I relly do not think so. You are right this is what it looks from a US point of view. Because most Americans do only know Oxford and Cambridge. To tell the truth, I don' t thing there is a big margin between Oxbridge and either Imperial or LSE or even UCL. So at this point, I do not think it will be easier than getting in to Stanford or Oxbridge.

Besides, I already got acceptence from Stanford (since I am already there) and Berkeley for postgraduate programs. And I am currently in touch with a prof. there in Imperial. Believe or not I think it is more difficult to get in to Imperial than Stanford.

What I am really curious about is after having a degree from Imperial would it be easy for me to come back to US for work? Because I am sure it will be an advantage if I look for job in Europe or some where else if I hold two degrees from Stanford and Imperial.

By Arealtexan (Arealtexan) on Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 11:36 am: Edit

If you are looking for a job in engineering, your employers would not be worth working for if they have not heard of Imperial. It is a well regarded degree with very rigorous courses. Although the average Joe probably won't have heard of it, that is just symptomatic of people not knowing about the rest of the world. And it's unlikely that the average Joe will be employing you in engineering.

By Heartfang (Heartfang) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 09:21 am: Edit

For undergraduates,
Last year about 8 Malaysians got into Oxbridge if I am not mistaken.
About 60+ Malaysians got into Imperial.

What say you?

By Arealtexan (Arealtexan) on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 10:49 am: Edit

Well, Malaysia has the highest number of students studying at British from the Commonwealth (only Ireland and Greece send more).

I think Imperial is a lot more popular in Malaysia (and Singapore) than Oxbridge. The same with the LSE, which I know has loads of Sing students. HK (where I am from) tends to send a lot to Oxbridge.

By Heartfang (Heartfang) on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 04:18 am: Edit

Aaarggh.. yes Imperial is more popular and it is because most ppl know they haven't a ghost of a chance at Oxbridge.

By Yahni (Yahni) on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 11:23 am: Edit

Heart,

I don' t know about Cam., but I think it is impossible to compare Ox. and IC since IC is one of the best technical universities in the world although Oxford is well known with mostly other subjects like law, some life sciences, etc.

I am an engineering student at Stanford and, to tell the truth in UK I have never thought of applying to Oxbridge. As prestigewise you can compare and I do not deny that Oxbridge is better known than London. But I don' t think it is possible to compare if one easier to get in or not. And once again, Imperial is not an easy place to get in.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page