Who will Give me $$, Aid?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: December 2003 Archive: July 2003 Archive: Who will Give me $$, Aid?
By Justplayin104 (Justplayin104) on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 05:54 pm: Edit

Who are some generous colleges willing to give some money? It's my understanding the private colleges are most generous with aid, such a lot of LAC's, but that's just my guess, as it always seems that they have more money hidden away. I dont' know. Anyways, what do you think about who would offer my a good aid package?

Stats:
SAT: 1340
SAT II: 680/630/600/570 (Writ/Lit/Math IC/Span.)
ACT: 30
Race: Nat. American
Senior Sched.: On a scale of 1-4 (scale many colleges use), prob 3.

By Ziplocky (Ziplocky) on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 08:36 pm: Edit

It's going to depend on how badly you need the money.

Like if you're family's income is 10,000 a year, then yeah, you'll get lots.

But if you're dad's a doctor and your mom's a lawyer, then no, you're not going to get any aid.

But if you look at 2nd tier schools, you could very well get a nice academic scholarship.

Good luck.

By Justplayin104 (Justplayin104) on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 10:06 pm: Edit

What about a middle income family with 2 siblings in college (in state)? Do they take into account other people in college/grad school?

Also, are there any schools that are notorious for being stingy? I hear BU is tight about that.

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Yes, generally, the more students in college, the more financial aid should be available. The EFC (estimated family contribution)per year will change very little from one college student to 2 or 3. Therefore the need for each will increase.

By Easydoesitmom (Easydoesitmom) on Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 01:18 am: Edit

My Dad is an alumni of Dartmouth and says Dartmouth has special aid programs for people of Native American ancestry ..............Louise Erdrich taught there .

By Cowgurlsblu (Cowgurlsblu) on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 11:58 pm: Edit

Grinnell College (LAC located in Iowa) is really decent when it comes to giving out money. We have pretty similar stats Justplayin and I will be going there next year with a nice grant and a guaranteed job....we are a middle income family with three kids in jr high-high school.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page