Most Unfriendly Elite Universities for Blacks

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Most Unfriendly Elite Universities for Blacks
By Tenisghs (Tenisghs) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 06:52 pm: Edit

I had to start this topic. OKAY folks, in your very own opinion, which private elite universities below do you believe are the most unfriendly for blacks:

Harvard
Yale
Princeton
Cornell
Brown
Columbia
Penn
Darmouth
Northwestern
Stanford
Duke
John Hopkins
Georgetown

Give your reason(s) to support your answer.

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 07:11 pm: Edit

I don't think many, if any, elite colleges are unfriendly to blacks.
The only colleges unfriendly to blacks are marginal schools where no one with a SAT higher than 800 wants to go.

By Me1 (Me1) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 08:36 pm: Edit

I don't think any of those colleges are. Sure, there's probably at least a few prejudice people in any college, but on the whole I don't think any of those are.

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 09:20 pm: Edit

Last time i checked all colleges on that list include AA as part of their admission.. common sense woudl dictate taht they are overly friendly towards blacks if anyhting..

By Dream5 (Dream5) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Dont worry. Everyone single university will favor black students.

By L_Wonder (L_Wonder) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 11:47 pm: Edit

The question had nothing to do with admissions, people! Try harder to stay on topic!

Anyways, tenisghs, from what I have heard it kind of depends on the person and their background. I think that the very presitigious schools like Harvard and Princeton would be hard for a person from a disadvantaged background to fit in. I have heard that at those schools even the black people can be kind of snooty. Culturally, it would be really hard for a poor black person to easily adjust.
The only school that I can really comment on would be Cornell, since that is where I went to school. Overall, I found it to be a pretty accepting environment; most of the encounters I had came from people being ignorant of certain things, but not racist.I found that most people simply were not used to being around people from different cultures. Of course, you will meet the occasional jerk who is looking for an argument,or fight, but you learn to ignore them.

But...during my last couple of years there was a group of white men attacking black and asian people on campus while yelling racial slurs, and I don't think that they caught the people. One asian girl was punched and kicked right in front of an academic building. There is also a KKK chapter over in Dryden (like one city over) They tried to hold a rally in Ithaca during my sophomore year and people were outraged. I don't think they held it there, buy one of my friends swears she saw people driving down Rt 13 with the sheet over their heads...

By Ndhawk (Ndhawk) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 12:01 am: Edit

It seems like those schools known for the preppy white boy image like duke or princeton would be most unfriendly.

By Ndhawk (Ndhawk) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 12:01 am: Edit

It seems like those schools known for the preppy white boy image like duke or princeton would be most unfriendly.

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 10:21 am: Edit

"I think that the very presitigious schools like Harvard and Princeton would be hard for a person from a disadvantaged background to fit in... Culturally, it would be really hard for a poor black person to easily adjust. "

So wouln't it also hold true that a white person from a disadvantaged background would have trouble fitting in as well, or an asian, or an idian..

By L_Wonder (L_Wonder) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 11:50 am: Edit

Of course! It would be hard for any poor student to adjust to that kind of environment, but since the question specifically asked about black students, that is what my post focused on.
Even so, since there aren't many black students at schools like Harvard and Princeton, and many of those students are from middle or upper middle class backgrounds, I think that a black student from the ghetto would have a really hard time finding black or white students that he or she could relate to.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page