How big are colleges on Recommendations?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: How big are colleges on Recommendations?
By Rsxman (Rsxman) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 11:18 pm: Edit

I wanna apply to BC, BU, Tufts, NYU, and UPenn.

How important are my recommendations?

Do college admissions officers actually review each recommendation seriously?

jsut curious, thanks!

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 01:47 pm: Edit

haha those are all the schools i am applying to minus tufts and add columbia

By Sondogg (Sondogg) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

recommendations show the adcom what kind of person other people think you are. Also, it demonstrates the type of relationship you have with teachers which will indicate what kind of relationship you ahve with professors in the future. Moreover, you should find a teacher that will say really weird, unique stuff about you, not one that will just say "person x is a good student, they got good grades, they always had a smile on their face" blah...there are thousands of those, make sure you find a teacher who will write an anecdotal tale about why you REALLY deserve to go to said college

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 08:14 pm: Edit

None of the colleges my daughters applied to were turned off by the letters of recommendation that were sent to them in lieu of the standard recommendation forms. Several of them ran two pages of text. If you have people who can write good anecdotal information... why have them just check off boxes?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page