Admissions book

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Admissions book
By Pipepr (Pipepr) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 09:02 pm: Edit

Has any one here read " COLLEGE ADMISSIONS TRADE SECRETS" by Andrew Allen?

Is this guy for real?

By Quarky (Quarky) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

no, but did u read it? Is it really unbelievable ("for real")? Can u provide a few examples of hard-to-believe things plz? thx

By Pipepr (Pipepr) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 06:45 pm: Edit

Of All the College admissions books I've read so far, (10 in all!), Andrew Allen's book is the best so far. It's so good that I wonder if what he's saying is true or not. LOL

For example he advises against Research institutions. Most Ivies and large State schools are in this category.

Because schools like Harvard, Yale, U. Wisconsin etc. etc. maintain their "caché" by promoting research, this aspect alone relegates the "best teachers" to having very light teaching loads.
Guess who gets SHAFTED! Those who really teach are the assistants, some whose accents are so thick you can cut it with a sissor. Is $40,000 a year worth this?

Does it surprise anyone why many freshman classes are sometimes 200+.

Despite knowing that you can get a better education at non-Ivy and non-research colleges, Parents, students and counselors still prefer Ivies. Why?
Because the reputation of Prep-schools and the Counselors depend on how many kids thay can get into an Ivy or a highly competitive school. In addition, PRESTIGE, not education is the name of the game.

Allen goes as far as considering schools like Hofstra, Pace, Iona, and other colleges that advertise in the Daily News as diploma mills, with a behind the scene open admissions policy. If you pay $$$$$$ You're in! He places North Eastern State universities in the same category, however not those of the South, California or the Mid-West.

According to Allen, Colleges that accept less than 25% are highly competitive, but not necessarily the best buy for your money. Those that accept between 45% and 30% are Competitive. He places Cornell, U. Penn Tufts B.C. and many more in this category. Colleges that accept above 50% are a waste of money, they function like open admission mills.

This guy goes on and on giving a lot of opinions and placing seeds of doubt about the American higher education system. It's not merit, it's POLITICS, $$$$$$$ and how well poeple play the game he says.

The book is an eye opener and it's
not published by a well known publishing Co. I bet the main book companies turned Allen down to avoid the wrath of the Ivies and the College admission establishment. LOL

By Fender1 (Fender1) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

I bet he's just another typical person who dislikes a particular system, but lacks the concrete data (a.k.a. facts) to justify it and so he writes a book full of "revelations" ((read: his opinions) a.k.a. hallucinations)

The Taoists have it right...

By Pipepr (Pipepr) on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 07:37 am: Edit

Fender 1 said:
"Allen" is just another typical person who dislikes a particular system, but lacks the concrete data.......
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
That may be so but I think it's refreshing to read a book about admissions policies that breaks away from the usual mythology.

One of the things Allen mentions is that Ivies, like Harvard, are very difficult to get in to, but once you're in, they will do everything to keep you there. These institutions dread having high drop-out stats for next year's U.S. News and World Report college stats. Harvard has gone as far as to INFLATE the grades to prevent dropouts, a fact that has been well reported in the press.

About hallucinations, I guess the New York Times also has them. Not too long ago it reported that students at Yale wanted to unionize. Unionize? I thought they were nuts! Why go to an Ivy and want to unionize? You go there to be educated! don't you?
Yale students wanted a union because most of them were assistant teachers, those who were given the full load of teaching the $40,000 freshmen while the PHd professors were doing "research."

It's a pity that most of us prefer to believe in the "admissions mythology." I guess it's safer than to rock the boat. I think that an informed public will eventually demand changes. But looking at it another way, it's easier, to believe in mythologies, why challenge our college admissions belief system?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page