How much community service is a lot?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: How much community service is a lot?
By Innotof (Innotof) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 01:52 pm: Edit

In the eyes of a college admissions officer, how many hours of volunteer work and community service is considered to be a lot? just wondering...

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 05:51 pm: Edit

I have no idea, but maybe enough for them to see that you have a passion in that area. I'm thinking at least 40 hours for all four years in high school because that's the requirement for us, but I don't really know. Also, make sure to tie in your passion with EC. Like if your passion lies in science, volunteer at a hospital (if you want to become a doctor) or in a zoo (if you want to become a vet)...so it also depends which aspect of science, but you get the idea...

By Innotof (Innotof) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

bump...

By Pisces (Pisces) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 11:47 pm: Edit

more than 40 sounds good. On my applications, i didnt say 150 hours, i said 10 hours/week or however much it was. It makes it clear that you are dedicated and it wasnt a one time deal for 10 hours in one day.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

My daughters high school required 200 hours for a diploma of community service.

50 hours a year isn't that much. Not even one hour a week.

By Innotof (Innotof) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 12:31 am: Edit

From what it sounds like, it'll be to my advantage to say on my application how many hours of community service I've done (by high school graduation it will be around 800 hours total for 4 years). Thanks!

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 12:45 am: Edit

Also ask your service organization for a referral /recommendation, putting that much energy into a place is great to have on your resume

By Dlsspartans (Dlsspartans) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 01:55 am: Edit

UCSD said that the UC's award full community service points to applicants who have 200 hours or more. So i guess it would be 200...

By Dxiw (Dxiw) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 10:08 pm: Edit

my friend had 300 hours when he applied to harvard (not just HS, life long). He did get in :)

By Cuponoodles (Cuponoodles) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 10:33 pm: Edit

I've racked up 190 hours at the hospital alone. Not to mention church, baseball, tutoring...

By Andymcgav (Andymcgav) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 11:29 pm: Edit

How do they know that you aren't lying? I've always wondered...

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 11:43 pm: Edit

Sometimes they know because some colleges require the head of the volunteering department at wherever you volunteer to send a record of how many hours you volunteered.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page