CORNELL OR CMU TRANSFERS

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: CORNELL OR CMU TRANSFERS
By Adela (Adela) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 11:38 pm: Edit

hi i heard many people(25%) from cornell undergrad, but not so many from Carnegie mellon transfers to colleges like HYP, stanford, etc, anyone has any idea of the approximate numbers of transferring students, places they transfer to, the reason they transfer, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, how many got into stanford, MIT, and UC berkerly? if im thinkin bout transfer, does it mean since there are so many ppl transferrin, it might be much more difficult for me to transfer into stanford, etc??

thanx a lot for ur input!!!

~very anxious

By Chronic19 (Chronic19) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Adela, I am enrolling at SCS next year, I (like you) was rejected at MIT. I'm not sure what you plan to major in, but if it is Computer Science or ECE then you would be an idiot to try to transfer. CS at Carnegie Mellon is the best in the nation, especially at the undergraduate level. ECE is at least at the level of MIT at the undergrad level. I looked into transferring from SCS to MIT, you would lose some classes. I was also accepted to Cornell, but CMU CS >>>>>Cornell CS no matter how you look at it. In terms of transfering, you would also lose credits transferring from Cornell as the engineering college requires you take an introductory engineering course that would not count at MIT. Both CMU and Cornell would transfer well into Stanford and UC Berkeley, but MIT's intro courses are a little different.
With that said, you probabbly could not get into MIT if you transfer from SCS, simply because there would be no reason for transfering. The MIT transfer adcoms only accept kids who need to transfer, not kids who just want to. CMU is at the very least equivelent to MIT in CS, obviously MIT is stronger overall. I'm sure Stanford and Berkeley are similar. But anyways, it will be tough to transfer from Cornell or CMU simply because these are great schools for Computer Science (Which I think is your major).

Just drop it, you did not get in this year, go to SCS and get the most prestigious CS degree in the country. Go to MIT for grad school.

By Sony (Sony) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 06:34 pm: Edit

I will be a premed/bio major at Cornell and i'm looking to transfer to Stanford, harvard, yale, columbia, mit, etc....how will I do with a gpa of 3.8 - 4.0 at cornell during my freshman year?

By Adela (Adela) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

but i will also double major in fianance or business admin, so i thought stanford or MIT might b much better (mayb even cornell's business admin is better).. any thoughtS? thanx.
ps. i finished introductory courses 4 math, c++, etc

By Chronic19 (Chronic19) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 12:29 am: Edit

Carnegie Mellon has the #7 Buisiness program in the country....MIT is #3. Adela, you need to just accept where you got in. Trust me, if you do well at CMU you won't have any problems, especially if you study CS as a CS degree from CMU is of equal value to one from MIT.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page