Fresh yr grades

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Fresh yr grades
By Shane (Shane) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 02:14 am: Edit

Hi, I am someone who really did not perform well my freshman year in high school. I was simply an immature student and didnt put in the effort. M y grades(although not horrible or anything cuz i am still a smart person) reflected this immaturity. However, the last two years I have really turned it on and have gotten stellar grades. Will the poor 9th grade year haunt me, or will colleges be able to look past the subpar year to the outstanding years i had with MUCH tougher courses my soph and jr years along with my 1400+ sat, 217 psat, etc.

By Fender1 (Fender1) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 12:32 pm: Edit

They will for the most part, look past it.
Some colleges do not even consider freshman grades and all others like to upward trends if you weren't a stellar performer all throughout HS. Just keep up the good work.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Yea I have, or should i say "had" that problem. I am still a freshman and this year i chose low level classes and slacked off really bad, it's because i go to this terrible school with kid's who are the least bit motivated and i think i fell into their "trap" Now don't think that i failed every class or something.. I only got one C and 3 B's and one A on my final report card for the fisrt half of the year( we are on a block schedule.) But now if i don't screw up i will get straight A's this quarter and it will hopefully make my GPA a bit better. Because of this i have been advised to take all Honors and a G/T english class(highest level for 10th grade.)iam with these changes, if i keep it up i will be able to get into my dream schools of Yale and Dartmouth.
-Haitham Said

By Dazedhyacinth (Dazedhyacinth) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 06:43 pm: Edit

While my sophomore and jr. year grades average out to over 4.0 uw, my freshman year averaged a B+. For regular decision, my second semester sr. year grades will be in, and bring my GPA up to 3.89, well within Ivy range (all classes honors or AP). But for early action or early decision, these grades will not be in, and my GPA will be a 3.79, which I feel will be looked upon as much lower. What can I do? Would getting quarter reports sent to my ED school in November help me? Will they see a 3.79 differently if all low grades were concentrated freshman year than if they were spred throughout (I hope so)? Help!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page