Do Ivy League Schools Average SAT Scores after having taken

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Do Ivy League Schools Average SAT Scores after having taken
By Haan (Haan) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

I took the SAT three times - my first two times, i scored in the mid-1400s. On my third time, I scored a 1500. I really want that 1500 to be the focal point of my admission and not for that score to be shadowed by the 1400s and averaged. So what do these school do actually?

By ~the_Chosen~ (~the_Chosen~) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 12:38 am: Edit

Nope, they just take your highest combined score but the U.S. Naval Academy takes your average.

By Haan (Haan) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 04:31 pm: Edit

bump

By Wawalu223 (Wawalu223) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 07:57 pm: Edit

As far as I know three times or less is perfectly fine. They'll take the highest combine score probably.

By Dxiw (Dxiw) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

I talked to harvard, u penn, duke and georgetown admissions ppl in person for 3 hours and a few weeks ago and they clearly told me that scores are not averaged. The harvard person also told me that they take the highest combine regardless of times taken and that many applicants have taken it 4-6 times because they took it alot initially like soph year. As long as your score isnt dropping then your fine she said...i didnt ask the other admissions people about sat stuff tho..

By Wobudong (Wobudong) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

For purposes of US News rankings, most Ivies combine the highest math with the highest verbal. Yale at least admits to "looking at" all scores, although it plays the composite game for rankings because everyone else does. The only ones that stick strictly to the single test rule are a few of the top BA/BS/MD programs, and in some of those a high (>1550) first attempt impresses more than a high third attempt. Of course the service academies don't train people to operate in an environment of do overs and really don't care about helping U.S. News sell magazines. Thus, a single test, preferably the first one, must be competitive.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page